Shops

Rate this topic

PSeggs

What do we have for awesome tackle shops?   I spent the last 15years of my life living at work and vacationing at home 60days a year.  So I'm a bit outta touch. 

Used to goto Newtown B&T. Was on the way home.  But their closed. Cabelas was a fun day when my kids were smaller.  They got fudge and I got to look at stuff. 

But I prefer smaller shops.  As long as they don't have an attitude.   But I don't run into that all too often.  

Bobby Js Ive been to a few times the past couple of years.  Nice guy. Good bait. 

If he wasn't super busy he'd pull out some eels for my daughter. That meant alot.  I hopin she'll wake up with me when I start heading out for early mornin trips. 

19 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Newtown tackle is still in business, but they did move a little further south on rte 25.

No way!  How far down?  

When I worked S&S in Norwalk I always went up 25 to the flag pole.  It was great. I'd stop at the indoor range then hit NA Sportsman and NBT.  

Then I quit there and was workin in Wilton so I never really went that way.  Stopped by around 2015 and it was empty.  Figured they closed up.   

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

No way!  How far down?  

When I worked S&S in Norwalk I always went up 25 to the flag pole.  It was great. I'd stop at the indoor range then hit NA Sportsman and NBT.  

Then I quit there and was workin in Wilton so I never really went that way.  Stopped by around 2015 and it was empty.  Figured they closed up.   

I don’t recall exactly. I was driving home up 25 and noticed it on my right, in a mini-mall.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

18 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Bobby Js Ive been to a few times the past couple of years.  Nice guy. Good bait. 

If he wasn't super busy he'd pull out some eels for my daughter. That meant alot.  I hopin she'll wake up with me when I start heading out for early mornin trips. 

Bobby Js has burned more fishing spots than any other shop that I know of.  I refuse to spend $1 in there.

Rivers End gets most of my $.

8 hours ago, PaulS said:

Bobby Js has burned more fishing spots than any other shop that I know of.  I refuse to spend $1 in there.

If John and Stratford Bait and Tackle were still around all my money was, and still would be spent there. Really miss that bunch.

As far as Bobby J's , when my son was 12 he got his first turkey, and wanted to get it weighed, so off to Bobby J's we went. I think Bob was more excited about the turkey than my son was!

Couldn't congratulate my son enough. Took pics, shook his hand. Spot burn or not, he kept a kid excited about hunting and fishing. Don't know if this story is true or not but Bobby J's was no longer a weigh station for the WICC tourney, because he didn't want to see bluefish that didn't make the cut tossed in a dumpster anymore.

RIP Bob J.

Your boys are doing a great job there in your absence!

on another note; I'm in Milford, between here and Fisherman's World in Norwalk, I can't think of a single B+T shop that's open. Oh yeah, there's Fisherman's Paradise, and I've heard good things about him. And besides, there is a brewery right next door!

In my over 50 years of fishing, I could name a ton of places that have come and gone. Going to each one was an experience to be remembered.Lot's of great stories, learned lots of new words.

9 hours ago, PaulS said:

I can understand your anger.  But try to see it from both sides.  

People don't catch fish, he don't sell bait and tackle. 

Kinda walkin the tight rope on right and wrong. That I know. But there are 3 sides to every story. 

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

If John and Stratford Bait and Tackle were still around all my money was, and still would be spent there. Really miss that bunch.

As far as Bobby J's , when my son was 12 he got his first turkey, and wanted to get it weighed, so off to Bobby J's we went. I think Bob was more excited about the turkey than my son was!

Couldn't congratulate my son enough. Took pics, shook his hand. Spot burn or not, he kept a kid excited about hunting and fishing. Don't know if this story is true or not but Bobby J's was no longer a weigh station for the WICC tourney, because he didn't want to see bluefish that didn't make the cut tossed in a dumpster anymore.

RIP Bob J.

Your boys are doing a great job there in your absence!

on another note; I'm in Milford, between here and Fisherman's World in Norwalk, I can't think of a single B+T shop that's open. Oh yeah, there's Fisherman's Paradise, and I've heard good things about him. And besides, there is a brewery right next door!

In my over 50 years of fishing, I could name a ton of places that have come and gone. Going to each one was an experience to be remembered.Lot's of great stories, learned lots of new words.

Stuff like that brings me back in. And the polar opposite will keep me away.  

I bring my kids everywhere. I just like hangin out with them.  My kids are extremely well behaved. And I'm not just sayin that cause their mine!

I walked into a gunshop with them one day.  Maybe 5&6 years old.  A shop I had been to many many times before I had walking children. Owner looks at me, looks at my kids. "Whatdaya want?  Don't touch anything!"    Turned around. Walked right out the door. I'll spend my money elsewhere. 

First shop I started going to regularly was Stratford Bait and Tackle when John owen it. If he was still around I probably would spend most of my money there. loved when his wife was there as I enjoy talking to her.  I was working in my shed today and moved three decoys that I bought from John when he moved south.  Fisherman's Paradise is a  pretty good shop. There's a new place in Bridgeport, Black Rock Bait and Tackle that just opened. I haven't been there yet.

When my son was 5ish, he would go in and ask Pam for a couple dozen ugly worms ( sandworms ), as he got older he always had to help her with shiners, and somehow I always had shiners swimming in my fish tanks. Heart of gold she had! Treated my son like he was a king.

John too. You could go in there and BS for hours! Loved the Christmas party even though you could never move in the store. And I would love Sunday dinners during the winter month when I'd go to my parent's house for Sunday dinner. Usually lasagna, and Pam and John would both be there. Wine, Italian food. You needed boots and a shovel with all the stories floating around.

The new bait shop there in Black Rock, is that the old Jimmy O's? ( John worked there for a bit ) or as in past days, Ted's? Or Orbit? On Fairfield Ave?

And just an opinion, BPS on Stratford Ave blows. Give me those old time shops any day!

16 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Stuff like that brings me back in. And the polar opposite will keep me away.  

I bring my kids everywhere. I just like hangin out with them.  My kids are extremely well behaved. And I'm not just sayin that cause their mine!

I walked into a gunshop with them one day.  Maybe 5&6 years old.  A shop I had been to many many times before I had walking children. Owner looks at me, looks at my kids. "Whatdaya want?  Don't touch anything!"    Turned around. Walked right out the door. I'll spend my money elsewhere. 

I used to go to a gun shop in Monroe. The original owner was an Italian guy, when my son used to come in when little, he'd press the button on the fart machine he had, it would drive my son crazy, every time his back was turned, another fart sound came out. What boy of any age doesn't enjoy fart sounds, jokes and so on?

Being it was usually around hunting season, it was my son's birthday time, and yup one year he got his very own fart machine.He'd leave it at the front door and wait for company. I don't know where kids get these ideas from,

At one time wasn't there a bait vending machine somewhere on 25 near a bait shop? I haven't seen one of those in some time.

I’m trying to remember where that machine was.  Sadly Newtown bait and tackle is gone.  Rich and Jan were great, and for a shop 15 miles from the shore, they had a great surf selection too.  The new shop in Newtown is about 1 mile south of NB&T location, and is not related to the old shop.  The new owner is a vet who pours his own baits.