BoBaby

New to Kayak Fishing

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm new to kayak fishing, and really fishing in general. I haven't yet taken the kayak out because of the pandemic. My friend who I bought it from was going to show me the ropes but we haven't been able to get out together. I ended up researching what to buy on my own, I'll list out what I have, I'm 6'2.

I want to get out on either fresh water or salt water, doesn't matter to me b/c I live in eastern Massachusetts. I'm just unsure of a few things:

What rod should I use for fresh water (pond/river)?

- I have a 7ft med/heavy spinning ugly stick. I feel like it will be too big for fishing in a pond or river.

- If the ugly stick is too big I would want a cheap smaller rod

What resources are there for learning how to setup your lines and hooks and bait?

- One reason I haven't gone out yet is because I don't know how to setup a rod. I could easily go for a paddle, but I really want to fish.

- Are there basic plastics or bait I could use just to get started in fresh water? My goal is to take it out on the Dedham loop of the Charles River.

Gear:

Boat - Vibe 120 Yellowfin

Paddle - Field and Stream 230 cm

PFD - NRS Chinook

YakAttack paddle holder - for the front of my boat

YakAttack Omega rod holder

fish grip

fishing pliers

fish holder with scale

I bought a kayak cart too, I have a bad back.

Thanks,

Brian

I’d say definitely get started in freshwater. Even if you have kayaked lots before, sometimes fishing from a yak can be a new experience. It was for me. 

In terms of baits for bass, stuff like spinnerbaits and swimbaits are great because of their simplicity. Just cast, wait a few seconds and slowly reel them in. You can also learn how to Texas rig, it’s one of my favorite methods. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can get an adequate freshwater rod for about $40. A lighter Ugly Stik would be fine. 6-7' capable of casting somewhere between 1/16 to 3/4 oz (you won't cover the whole range, just match what you want to cast). Match it with something like a Sedona, Pflueger President and so on.

Senkos and Slug gos are easy to rig and fish, and catch in a wide range of conditions. Add a couple floating Rapalas for shallow running, and some jigs for bottom bouncing. A frog or two will serve you well when the weeds start to choke out everything else.

If all else fails, a bucket of shiners or box of crawlers, and a float or single dropper or Carolina rig will almost always get something.

You can use a uniknot and a surgeon's loop for everything.

Edited by ermghoti

Agree with getting a ugly stick for freshwater. You'll pick it up just getting out there as much as you can. When you get comfortable you can try some salt ponds and other areas with cover from high winds and stuff. 

Welcome aboard, BoBaby. Start small and keep it basic till you are comfortable out there. Being new to fishing AND kayaking, Mr. Davy Jones will probably require you to donate some gear over the side :eek:. Tether or leash your gear. More than anything, learn how to paddle efficiently, and how to get back on the yak if you take a swim. Good luck out there.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:27 PM, cheech said:

Welcome aboard, BoBaby. Start small and keep it basic till you are comfortable out there. Being new to fishing AND kayaking, Mr. Davy Jones will probably require you to donate some gear over the side :eek:. Tether or leash your gear. More than anything, learn how to paddle efficiently, and how to get back on the yak if you take a swim. Good luck out there.

Words to live by.