R.R. Bridge Fisher

Repair techniques for leak

11 posts in this topic

I have a plastic kayak with a leak. I tried jb weld and that worked for a bit before it flexed and leaked again.

I tried a fiberglass patch and that worked the longest. 

Then my son tried that flex seal soray on stuff and that was the least effective. 

Any good products that are recommended?  

If not i will just clean up the patch and make a fiberglass patch again 

Thanks

Old town canoe sells a repair kit thats  a 2 part polyurethane resin and nylon cloth. They say patch both inside and out.

There's a big kayak store near me that does in house plastic welds.

Harbor fright sells plastic welder kits.

Depends on the leak size, etc. I think in your case, I would try to actually weld the plastic. If you can get a piece of the material form the manufavturer that would be best. melt plastic with soldiering iron and alow it to flow into leak. Take your time  and practice melting the plastic first. Maybe if someone could hold a hair dryer over the leak area on the kayak at the same time it will help with the fusion.

Plastic welding .... drill small holes at end of each crack to discourage further cracking.

Ensure yak plastic and "welding rod" are the same plastics.

It's not just a case of melting the "welding rod" into the crack, you have to ensure that the 2 sides of the crack and the "welding rod" become homogenous with some serious intermingling ... without overheating.

Practice using a Homies type bucket first.

I'd recommend inserting a strip of welded ss mesh into the fix as well .... heat up the mesh and let it sink into the plastic over the length of the fixed crack. 

It can be done, it has been done. Good luck :th:

Africaster is correct.  If you do this make sure you scrape/sand and remove all the other chemicals that you've used in the area. Chemical contaminants can mess up the weld.  The plastic welding works really well, never used a mesh before.  There are some really good how to videos about making these repairs. The drilled holes are key to keeping the crack from re-opening or spreading.  

Second option only for places that you can't weld: 3M scotch-weld DP 8010  ... I've repaired serious structural brakes in older hobie kayaks by making PVC parts /splints and clamping them with DP8010 to permanently join them.  Lasted several years and still going.   You can read about the adhesive properties on the manufacturers site.  

Hope you get a sturdy repair figured out. 

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:07 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have a plastic kayak with a leak. I tried jb weld and that worked for a bit before it flexed and leaked again.

I tried a fiberglass patch and that worked the longest. 

Then my son tried that flex seal soray on stuff and that was the least effective. 

Any good products that are recommended?  

If not i will just clean up the patch and make a fiberglass patch again 

Thanks

His problem was that the kayak wasn't cut in half or made from a screen door.....:laugh:

13 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

His problem was that the kayak wasn't cut in half or made from a screen door.....:laugh:

Haha!!! Thats hilarious.

35 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

He picked up this kayak on the side of the road for free. I patched it and it was ok for a while, then he slides down the steep hill into the water over and over while his buddies video him. Now it leaks again.

So he's getting a new one and its mine now.

Oh and i shot it with my pellet guy by accident. I fixed that and i dont want to talk about it. :laugh:

21 mins ago, treehouse said:

Haha!!! Thats hilarious.

Treehouse as in the beer? 

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

He picked up this kayak on the side of the road for free. I patched it and it was ok for a while, then he slides down the steep hill into the water over and over while his buddies video him. Now it leaks again. 

I hope you weren't surprised that it leaked after this?

I'm more surprised that you hadn't described it as "torpedoing to the bottom like a lead weight"...

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

I hope you weren't surprised that it leaked after this?

I'm more surprised that you hadn't described it as "torpedoing to the bottom like a lead weight"...

Not surprised but its mine now......:)