Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rloop19

Used 2008 Revolution 13 vs New leftover 11

10 posts in this topic

In a bit of a pickle determining which boat to buy was hoping to get some help from the forum.

The 08 in contention looks like its in really good condition for its age. I can get it for 1000 and I know that if nothing catastrophic happens ill easily be able to get my money out of it in a few years when I go to upgrade.... Thing is I know these boats are known for cracking at the drive and leaking. On top of that, the owner used a scupper cart which creates another weak point. 

I could instead get a leftover 2015 Revolution 11 for about $1900 after tax. At least I would have the peace of mind owning a new boat and having a warranty, but this would really be a stretch in my budget. 

Id love to get your opinions on what you think I should do. the length doesn't really make a difference to me as im 165. This will be my first Hobie

Love my revo 11 I bought it for spots where the 16 was too much, and have made it the primary yak. I love that it goes in my truck bed with no bed extender. More maneuverable in tight spots. I don’t have the 180 so I can’t comment on that aspect.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would pass on the 2008, it has the pre click-n-go drive attachment. Also hull issues were more prevalent on pre 2010  Hobies. Spend up for the newer model or keep looking. You should be able to find a 2012-15 Revolution 13 for around $1000-$1500, look on CL.

Edited by cheech

3 hours ago, cheech said:

I would pass on the 2008, it has the pre click-n-go drive attachment. Also hull issues were more prevalent on pre 2010  Hobies. Spend up for the newer model or keep looking. You should be able to find a 2012-15 Revolution 13 for around $1500, look on CL.

Thanks so do you know what the first year of the click n go was? 
Also would you suggest avoiding one that has been used with a scupper cart?

I’d try to find a used 13 with the GT drive and the nicer seat, probably 2014-2016 range. If you’re just doing calm back waters, the 11 should be fine.

Seeing its your first Hobie, my advice would be to Demo if possible. You may not want the Revo after all & may like an Outback better. Then there's the compass also, etc etc. 

But as far as those two - At your weight, either Revo would be fine. If youre on the taller side, the 13 would probably work better. But as cheech mentioned, I wouldnt go for that 08, I'd look for something newer. 

Around 2010 was the start of the click n go. I’ve had a Revo since 2011, and always have used a scupper cart with no issues. The wider, heavier, shorter Outback is real nice too, but lifting it over your head is not as fun as the Revo.

13 hours ago, Rloop19 said:

Awesome thanks guys. Think I found a 2104 Revo 13 for a good price. I’m psyched!

Does the 2104 model come with a Marty McFly Hoverboard modification, or perhaps a flux capacitor?

Couldn't resist ...