JerseySurf

Daiwa BG size for 8,8 plug'n stick

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So here's the situation, I have a Tsunami 8,8 Airwave elite series rod. I need to pair up a reel that will balance right with the length of the rod. My consideration is the newer Daiwa BG series reels for the budget and also the reel seems to have some good reviews. I am considering the 3000 size for weight ( 10.8 oz ) and line capacity ( 20/240 ), thoughts on this? 

I love my 3000 paired on my 8ft ODM. Super light chasing smaller fish this spring. Good little reel always been a fan of the BG series old and new.

24 mins ago, ASrod said:

I’d say 4000 for capacity.

Ah the 4000 BG....i remember my cousin getting spooled at the cape for using that one lmao

Just got a 4000 for my light back bay 9 footer. Balances out perfectly and is super light. Still have 280 yards of 30 pound braid on it.

5 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Ah the 4000 BG....i remember my cousin getting spooled at the cape for using that one lmao

What on the cape can spool a properly loaded and adjusted reel of that size?  

8 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

What on the cape can spool a properly loaded and adjusted reel of that size?  

One with a new-to-the-cape fisherman holding it lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks all for you input. From what reviews I have read, the newer BG's are just as good as some of the Shimano's like the Gosa's and Stradic's. I was looking at a Penn 4000 size reel and the specs are similar to the BG 3000. It looks like there is no "set size standards" between reel manufactures. 

Edited by JerseySurf

14 mins ago, JerseySurf said:

Thanks all for you input. From what reviews I have read, the newer BG's are just as good as some of the Shimano's like the Gosa's and Stradic's. I was looking at a Penn 4000 size reel and the specs are similar to the BG 3000. It looks like there is no "set size standards" between reel manufactures. 

Nope not at all, Each company has their own sizes and it gets a little frustrating when switching to another brand of reels. But to answer the main question, a 4000 sized BG is what your looking for, But if you decide to probably up your budget you can get something like a Stradic but you can't go wrong with a BG.

56 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Yeah but nobody is using an 8’8 ML and a 4K for the canal or any spot with heavy current unless they wanna get their line clipped lmao 

I think you’ll be fine. That’ll be a nice lightweight setup. I have my 8’8 AWE paired with a slammer 4500 which weighs just over 14 oz. That is similar to the BG 3500. I’d say go with your gut. If you like to keep it light, the 3000 will work.