MarcFishes

An Affordable Surf Fishing Setup (Rod and Reel)

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I am just beginning to get into surf fishing and I’m looking to purchase a rod and a reel.

Any suggestions on an affordable set up for a rod, reel, line and etc.? What brands are best for rod and reels? Looking to spend less than $200 for everything. 

Thanks! 

Just got my dad a Tica Dolphin and a Daiwa BG. Spent around $210 for the setup and my first impressions are that it’s very nice for the money.

...but what SIZE reel and lb braid do you need?...something like 22-25oz with 40 or 50lb j-braid x8?

Low RATIO but high torque with sedona 8000 or socorro 10k(97% are the same).....nº2 lethal80

nº1 fast retrieve bg 5000 (or old spinfisher v 6500)......all of them are versatile!

I have a Tica TC2 great rod for the money.  Bought it probably 15 years ago for 60 bucks or so.  Now they are $100 still a great deal.  Have the 9 foot medium rated .5 to 3 oz.  

For reel the Daiwa BG mentioned above is supposed to be a good reel and the price is right.  Never tried one myself.  

Star Stellar Lite Lite 9' or 10' rod $119/$129 and a Daiwa BG or Penn Battle.

That "etc" needs to be defined. If you're talking terminal tackle and plugs, on top of rod, reel, line, then you're really pushing the budget into something very low quality if purchased new. I'd say to def try and buy used to knock some dollars off and to go little by little. You can potentially get an older model Spinfisher on the BST here. Rod you can potentially find something used along the lines of those described above, but buying everything new will be tough. New line will knock you back some of your budget on it's own, buying a used reel that's spooled will help there too. 

The most valuable peace of equipment is free, experience, so whatever gets you on the water is worth it in the long run. 

Tight lines, see you out there. 

I just got a Daiwa BG 5000 for $95 and paired it with the $110 9'3 airwave elite from Tackle Direct. It was a "money not spent on commuting" gift to myself for my NJ trip end of July. 

20 hours ago, MarcFishes said:

I am just beginning to get into surf fishing and I’m looking to purchase a rod and a reel.

Any suggestions on an affordable set up for a rod, reel, line and etc.? What brands are best for rod and reels? Looking to spend less than $200 for everything. 

Thanks! 

A 9' 2pc Tsunami Trophy II surf rod MSRP's for $95; many times you can find it cheaper.

A Penn Fierce III 5000 is $90. 

That puts you at $180 before tax for decent equipment. 

You could spend $60 on a Penn Pursuit III reel if you were looking to save some $$, but the Penn Fierce is definitely better for $30 more.

Daiwa, Penn, Tsunami, Shimano, Tica, Okuma; all good reputable brands to look at. 

Ticas and stars are really hard to beat for the money.  I know everyone has made basically the same reel recommendation and I completely agree.  BG and Battle are both good reels

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Dang. U guys have a way bigger line at affordable than I!  

We'll, if you asked for an all-arounder without a cost stipulation, you'd be seeing mostly rods at $2-600, and reels in about the same territory, with outliers on each end of both. A $200 surf rod is affordable in that context.

MarcFishes, welcome to our happy, loud, quarrelsome and dysfunctional fishing family.

You haven't told us much about the kind of fishing you want to do. One big question: are you planning to fish lures most of the time, or fish bait most of the time?  Where are you planning to fish, geographically?  Third, are you looking to fish the open beach, or are you planning to fish from jetties or piers?

None of the advice above is bad. It could be more specific, if you can give us more detail. If you can't, then that's fine too; and of the combinations above will more or less work.

What I did and am still doing is read about the different makes of rods & reels that fit the type of fishing you plan to do. Decide on what you want and watch the bst like a hawk. I personally would rather buy high end used gear than low end new gear for the same price.