gellfex

Skunked hugely in western sound

18 posts in this topic

Wow, I can't recall a trip like this where I caught absolutely nothing, not even a short fluke or a robin! Yesterday was lovely, a great day for my first outing of the season after a knee injury last october, but holy crap was that frustrating. None of the few fishermen out there caught anything either. I thought the porgies were in the sound and JB, but this was a wasteland except for a few bait balls and a few flipping bunker. I guess I'll head to RB and look for blues. I had been hoping to put some porgy fillets in the freezer.

I'm right there with you, central sound. Tons of bluefish on the FF, few bass but couldn't get them to eat anything. 3 hours, 3 taps. Meanwhile the day prior I caught everything from sea Robin's to bass the whole morning. Then this morning my girlfriend and I went to a local dock to enjoy the weather and eat breakfast, it was LOADED with sandeels and we watched two schoolies about 20-24" feeding right under the dock for 15 minutes. 

Its weird.

The river, the reefs, and a couple of the harbors have been good according to my cousins. They have been out quite a bit the past few weeks and they’re doing well. Nothing big. But plenty of mid 20” fish. They’re strictly fishing at night though. 

fluking is way off in my go-to areas...I've only had a couple of juuuust keeper size & a hand full of shorts.

I really have to work to find a few here & there... cooler incoming inlet water at the mouth of the inlet is where i found most of them...

I actually limited on 18's last week around here in <3hrs. Surprisingly good bite.

@cheech Thanks, I'll try and get up there, but the thunderstormy weather this week makes it look iffy. I guess I could run to an island and beach, but it's not the best plan. I've been meaning to try one of the lesser known free launches around there too.

45 mins ago, gellfex said:

I actually limited on 18's last week around here in <3hrs. Surprisingly good bite.

Nice ... were 19" here, i guess NY wants us to work harder for some keepers.

10 mins ago, BillZ said:

You get it all back and then some with the month earlier fall tog season.

6 hours ago, BillZ said:

Should be 19" everywhere but NJ is "special." 

3 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Personally, I think a tag system might be more effective. Some of us take like 6 keepers a season and others the same per week. 

We’re 16.5 in Maryland and Delaware and ive been struggling to find them. I’ve made 6 trips out to the coast this year and have 3 keepers(17,19, 22) and the rest have been shorts and some weakies with a few croakers mixed in. 

On 7/6/2020 at 7:17 PM, buddha162 said:

They actually stepped up to only two size limits this year over last year's three I see in the regulations. 

Totally agree with all states following same regs. 

The CT shore has been awful. The tropical storm pushed the porgy into deeper water And they haven’t meandered back yet. Maiden voyage of the kayak on the sound this week. See if I can get skunked out there. Been catching MONSTER Sea Robin 

7 mins ago, Matty123 said:

The CT shore has been awful. The tropical storm pushed the porgy into deeper water And they haven’t meandered back yet. Maiden voyage of the kayak on the sound this week. See if I can get skunked out there. Been catching MONSTER Sea Robin 

I keep the big robins, they're quite tasty, and easy to clean once you see how.  They're a targeted table species in Europe called Gurnard there.