icarussound

Can’t yak no more

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, icarussound said:

Been a bit ill, lost a bunch of weight mostly from the **** they cut out of me but I didn’t catch COVID. I love my outback but I’m not sure I’m strong enough to do it anymore. Anyway, I’m thinking I’ll get a Sea do fish pro. No experience in a boat, 

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. I to Kayaked and had to give it up as my age caught up with me now 79 yo. My question to you from my experience from a much smaller Jet Ski I had is what makes you feel that is a better choice since it takes a lot more Muscling to handle them. From launching to just driving along. Please see if you can test -rent - share one before you make that investment in the neighborhood of $2000.00 + Keep recovering good luck. 

Seado.jpg

Old Kayak Fishing.jpg

8 hours ago, Carpniels said:

Hi Icarussound,

I've seen those ski doo fish videos too. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun with continuously getting wet. I agree with the comment on the loudness too.

Since you are in FL, I also suggest a skiff. Or better; Boston Whaler Montauk 17 with a nice modern 4 stroke. If you buy that used, you will always get your money back. Easy to run, trailer, etc.

Good luck with the research and ultimate selection.  Carpniels

Sound advise I had to degrees to 4 man raft in local Lake Buddy has a 16' skiff 15hp 4-stroke he runs around on the lake and bay but not in the ocean yet I see some who risk it. The once called car toppers have disappeared to Kayaks. No matter what Try before you buy and good luck  

Bass.png

On 6/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, icarussound said:

Been a bit ill, lost a bunch of weight mostly from the **** they cut out of me but I didn’t catch covid. I love my outback but I’m not sure I’m strong enough to do it anymore. Anyway I’m thinking I’ll get a Sea do fish pro. No experience in a boat, never thought I’d go that route but life sometimes moves you in an unexpected direction...

been reading a bit, but I’d like some perspective from people who’ve used one for a while, nearshore or offshore. I’m in SE Florida. Looking at maybe the 2021model when it comes out, if it comes out at the end of this year.

What's up bud? I fish off of a 2019 fish pro. I absolutely love the machine. I started on an outback and thought it was perfect for me but the sea doo brought me to another level. Last season I caught different types of fish I never had caught before and I went to a bunch of new fishing spots out of range of the outback. Hit me up if you want to know anything specific!

Cool, OK. I’ll have more but here’s a few:

how is the sounder? I read you need to buy decent charts, I can use my phone & navionics probably.

Do you have/did you install a bilge pump?

How is it in terms of maintenance?

How far out offshore do you feel comfortable going?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

Cool, OK. I’ll have more but here’s a few:

how is the sounder? I read you need to buy decent charts, I can use my phone & navionics probably.

Do you have/did you install a bilge pump?

How is it in terms of maintenance?

How far out offshore do you feel comfortable going?

Cheers!

The garmin does the job but the stock maps are useless. I found areas I wanted to hit on navionics and manually put them into the garmin. Also I've noticed my gps is off a bit but it doesnt bother me.

I installed a bilge pump last season. Wasnt too difficult and never used it in an emergency yet.

I havent had to do anything to it yet mechanically. I'd like to add a second battery at some point. I used saltaway after most uses. I put about 70 hours on it last season.

I dont push it going offshore because I mainly fish alone. I've taken it 7 miles out to get to Martha's vineyard on calm days. I would sign up for one of the boat tow agencies in your area no matter what (just in case).

On 6/15/2020 at 9:31 PM, icarussound said:

Thanks. 2019 or 2020 model? And what are you catching? 

2019. Heres how I rig mine. I target stripers,blues,sea bass, tautog,fluke,albies.

20200706_130305.jpg