icarussound

Can’t yak no more

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Been a bit ill, lost a bunch of weight mostly from the **** they cut out of me but I didn’t catch covid. I love my outback but I’m not sure I’m strong enough to do it anymore. Anyway I’m thinking I’ll get a Sea do fish pro. No experience in a boat, never thought I’d go that route but life sometimes moves you in an unexpected direction...

been reading a bit, but I’d like some perspective from people who’ve used one for a while, nearshore or offshore. I’m in SE Florida. Looking at maybe the 2021model when it comes out, if it comes out at the end of this year.

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

Been a bit ill, lost a bunch of weight mostly from the **** they cut out of me but I didn’t catch covid. I love my outback but I’m not sure I’m strong enough to do it anymore. Anyway I’m thinking I’ll get a Sea do fish pro. No experience in a boat, never thought I’d go that route but life sometimes moves you in an unexpected direction...

been reading a bit, but I’d like some perspective from people who’ve used one for a while, nearshore or offshore. I’m in SE Florida. Looking at maybe the 2021model when it comes out, if it comes out at the end of this year.

Glad to hear from you. Stay well.

Glad that you are doing better. Jet ski brian might be inspiring. Worth it for the stories & pics also. Possibly a powered yak also.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better.

I have no experience with the seadoo other than looking over one at the dealer. They look pretty nice and seem to beat a neat idea, just not for me.

For the price a used skiff could be had, or a Lowe/Bass Tracker. Then a friend or two can come along if you're having an off day physically.  Hands free fishing with a trolling motor.

Good luck with your decision.

A few people who post here have the Sea Doo Fish Pro. They do seem like a lot of fun. I think they would be great for running along the beach chasing stripers but for the kind of fishing you do in Florida, I would much rather have a bay boat with a trolling motor on the bow. I would look for something around 17 or 18 feet. Easy enough to trailer. It would be much more stealthy in the shallows and around the mangroves than a Sea Doo. I just think the Sea Doo is kind of tricky to maneuver and way too loud to be practical for that type of fishing. I’m sure used bay boats are easy to find in Florida and can be had for less coin than a new Sea Doo. Just my 2 cents. But good luck with whatever you decide to get. Glad to hear you’re doing better and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. Probably should have put sea do in the title of the thread... 

its a way off, right now I’m (sort of) happy to bait & wait while my strength returns. Lots of horrible promo fan boy YouTube videos with horrible music to wade through. I’m more interested in real opinions after fishing on one for a long period. 

Im not terribly interested in a boat, around here two phrases pop up when considering one “ black hole” and “ happiest day of my life”  I’m wondering if those might apply to this jet ski also! Unless I’m forced to I vastly prefer fishing alone

I think those phrases “black hole” and “happiest day of my life” apply mostly to large boats. The kind that need to be left in the water and stored at a marina where everything becomes a huge expense. Top dollar for fuel, repairs, maintenance and everything else that goes with that. Boats that are 20’ and under that are kept on a trailer in your garage or yard are not that big an expense to own. No more so than a Sea Doo and just as easy to fish alone in.

Good to know. One thing I do want to add is this would be for offshore/nearshore  and to get out I need to go via Sebastian Inlet. 

while not familiar with the particular model you are interested in, skis now a days are so tweaked out (turbos, superchargers, etc) that as a casual observer of neighbors with them, they always seem to be having problems and be a maintenance nightmare.  Actually, I saw this before they started putting blowers on the engines and all the other bells and whistles.

If I were where you're at, I'd be looking at a skiff that can get into the skinny all day long.  The bigger you go, the more bells and whistles, the more headaches and maintenance.  Keep it simple.

I was never there but from what I have heard Sebastian Inlet is a nightmare. I now understand why a Sea Doo appeals to you. If you got a small boat I guess you would have to really pick your days and plan ahead taking wind and tide into consideration...Sebastian inlet has a very interesting history.

8 hours ago, nalu22 said:

Good to see you made it through!

~Kevin 

Thanks!  Cigarettes & whisky sneaked in from my daughter who told me to visualize  mithril armor under my skin. Frankly I was not expecting to get out of the hospital, let alone see the ocean again. She saved my life, I was ready  to exit.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, icarussound said:

Thanks!  Cigarettes & whisky sneaked in from my daughter who told me to visualize  mithril armor under my skin. Frankly I was not expecting to get out of the hospital, let alone see the ocean again. She saved my life, I was ready  to exit.

icarussound.... don't know that we have interacted too much on this site, glad you made it back here ... I will say a prayer for your continued recovery.

I owned a boat and don't know if I totally buy into the proverb about "happiest days being ..." anyways no experience with jetskis but I agree there are probably a lot of cheap skinny water boats down there that you could get yourself into without a huge amount of expense. I like better the proverb

"old boat new Engine", good luck on where ever this journey takes you

Best

Brian

Edited by fishinthedark

Hi Icarussound,

I've seen those ski doo fish videos too. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun with continuously getting wet. I agree with the comment on the loudness too.

Since you are in FL, I also suggest a skiff. Or better; Boston Whaler Montauk 17 with a nice modern 4 stroke. If you buy that used, you will always get your money back. Easy to run, trailer, etc.

Good luck with the research and ultimate selection.  Carpniels