jimmy1956

Need a Good Knife Sharpener

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

so many options jimnums. first step, beyond admitting your knives are dull, is to decide if you want to sharpen by hand or robot?

13 mins ago, rocco said:

so many options jimnums. first step, beyond admitting your knives are dull, is to decide if you want to sharpen by hand or robot?

Dull is not the word more like used and abused. Was thinking electric but also seems to be a bunch one just pulls the blade thru by hand. Been using a diamond stone. getting the right angle with the blade can be tricky. I've used wet stones before but don't have any now.

Any of the works sharp products are quality . The electric belt sander jobby is good but aggressive , I got their hand sharpening set , take practice and technique, yes ... but works great and can get scary sharp edge 

4 mins ago, ScottO said:

Have you tried tire side walls?

Nope lol. But when I was growing up the house had a concrete porch and when my dad and myself were cleaning fish or game we would run the knife blades at an angle against the concrete porch edge to sharpen them. 

12 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

Dull is not the word more like used and abused. Was thinking electric but also seems to be a bunch one just pulls the blade thru by hand. Been using a diamond stone. getting the right angle with the blade can be tricky. I've used wet stones before but don't have any now.

i don't know much about the electric options, but i'm sure some other guys here do. the thing that worries me about them is that it seems pretty easy to take a bunch of metal of quickly with them, and that's probably not necessary. my pops has a blade he's sharpened with an electric one, and yes it's pretty sharp, but over the years he has taken probably close to 3/4's of blade height off from the original shape. its just ridiculous. its also a throw away blade and doesn't matter so i guess there is that to consider too, if you have some nice steel.

i think those pull throughs are probably best used for a touch up here and there to stave off getting out the stones for a complete sharpening myself, but i don't use them anymore either.

there are some hand sharpening "systems" that aim to help you get a proper angle, like the lansky systerm. i don't have one but have seen one used by a friend that has one, and he can get a real nice edge with that. i have the spyderco one that sets the stones at an angle and you just slice down the perpendicular to the countertop. it worked brilliantly for about a month, enough to do all my knivew once basically, and then the stones needed replacing. i think it was wayne :rolleyes: that pointed out they are not very well made - just diamond dust glued on to ceramic that doesn't last. 

getting the right angle freehand can be tricky and does take some practice. but when you sharpen by hand, you are not taking a huge amount of metal off the blade quickly like with a machine in a single stroke. so with some patience and one or two practice knives, i think you can get decent enough results to get reasonably sharp knives. 

now stones are a whole new thread :wee: 

The fastest and easiest way to sharpen a knife is with a stone, diamond or not, your choice - I like diamond stones for speed. Keep it handy, so that you use it, this way it only takes a couple of pulls on each side to bring it back to sharp. 

9 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

The fastest and easiest way to sharpen a knife is with a stone, diamond or not, your choice - I like diamond stones for speed. Keep it handy, so that you use it, this way it only takes a couple of pulls on each side to bring it back to sharp. 

of course you like diamond stones :rolleyes: