theshadow

Simms Freestone waders

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Broke out a pair bought 3 years ago when I lived in Maine.Never wore them because my Reddingtons were fine for 7 years of all kinds trips through all kinds of situations.Well they finally let go in the membrane fabric on the knees and thighs.No issue at all for all those years.Well,the Freestones have a zipper inside to accommodate a pouch.No pouch.Is this the normal and if so can the pouch be purchased?

Gotta buy the pouch which sucks.  The cool thing is they have two different ootions, one of which is a waterproof pouch.  I got the bigger tippet pouch, but wish i had gotten the waterproof one.

I  mentioned this to Simms a ripoff by not including the pouch which they can now charge for. Some genius at Simms came up with this 

idea. Probably a marketing guy who probably doesn't fish.

FishHawk

I actually prefer the no pouch as I wear a small chest pack and it bunches up with layers of pockets under it. I might wear my waders, hip boots or wet wade and would always forget things in the wader pouch when I wasn't wearing them. I'm likely in the minority though.

18 hours ago, FishHawk II said:

I  mentioned this to Simms a ripoff by not including the pouch which they can now charge for. Some genius at Simms came up with this 

idea. Probably a marketing guy who probably doesn't fish.

FishHawk

Well Bill;Oh! how did you do the other day?The idea of having a waterproof pouch and charging for it.That's fine with me as an "option".Personnally a friggin freezer zip-lok bag does the same thing.Now since it's an option!!!!! How about a regular pouch for less? Oh! that's right...………….marketing.Looks like I'm going to "organ donate" out of an old pair of dying waders the pouch and sew it above the zipper in the Simms.Thanks for all the input.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, Nicky Da Fish said:

I actually prefer the no pouch as I wear a small chest pack and it bunches up with layers of pockets under it. I might wear my waders, hip boots or wet wade and would always forget things in the wader pouch when I wasn't wearing them. I'm likely in the minority though.

I relate to that. I also have to flip it out to get things out of it and it always seems to be about to fall off as the zipper doesn't stay closed on mine.  I don't know what they charge, but I wouldn't buy one. I do keep tippet in the outside pocket, and  occasionally a fly box in the hand warmer, when I skip the  chest pack or sling.  Still will buy Simms, they have been the best lasting and fitting for me.  I had some Freestones 5 years ago as a  back up and they did OK, but now have quite a few leaks. I'll still wear them to get through weeds and brush when it's warm, keep the damn Lyme's  carriers off me, and in my float tube. 

I've lost some faith in Simms. My G3 started to leak season 2. I sent them back they said there were a few holes and they couldn't be fixed. Didn't offer to replace them, didn't offer a discount on a new pair, didn't even want to send them back to me! Now I buy Frog Toggs or Adamsbuilt or Orvis waders when they are discounted for a quarter of the price, use them for three seasons then toss them. Rather spend $100 every three years and toss them vs. $500! They all seem to leak no matter how careful I am. Just my two cents. Don't mean to dis Simms, just disappointed that they didn't stand behind a pair of $500 waders!! 

19 mins ago, rafolo said:

I've lost some faith in Simms. My G3 started to leak season 2. I sent them back they said there were a few holes and they couldn't be fixed. Didn't offer to replace them, didn't offer a discount on a new pair, didn't even want to send them back to me! Now I buy Frog Toggs or Adamsbuilt or Orvis waders when they are discounted for a quarter of the price, use them for three seasons then toss them. Rather spend $100 every three years and toss them vs. $500! They all seem to leak no matter how careful I am. Just my two cents. Don't mean to dis Simms, just disappointed that they didn't stand behind a pair of $500 waders!! 

That is awful service, I don't blame you a bit for losing faith in them.

The Pouch can be purchased directly from simms or it its an older model you can snipe one off ebay.
My G3 have made it about 6 years, i had to send them into simms twice for repairs this winter during duck season and they still leak.  

2 hours ago, Pause Game said:

The Pouch can be purchased directly from simms or it its an older model you can snipe one off ebay.
My G3 have made it about 6 years, i had to send them into simms twice for repairs this winter during duck season and they still leak.  

Even at 6 years on all waders it's close to the end no matter the price.I stay in the middle price range and that seems to be a good move overall the decades.Over the years in salt environment washing after every trip has helped keeping the salt from wearing the fabric went it crystalizes.Just one of those "things" in the back of my mind seems to work for me.