fishfinder401

Crazy idea or worth a shot?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

So, i have a lami 114 3m blank that has been sitting around for a while and i wondered about extending the butt a little and making it a 2handed 1 piece fly rod.... been tempted to try 2 hand recently but i dont want to buy a dedicated blank just yet...

Does anyone have any opinions on if this would be even worth the time i will take to wrap it or should i just save it for another day and another project?

14 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Ask in the fly forum. Some of the 2 hander guys have been pretty resourceful when looking for blanks. 

is there a way I can have the thread moved there? that way i dont start 2 identical threads

Do move the original to the 2 Hand section of the Fly Fishing forum. There are no stupid questions & you shouldn't get any real stupid answers.

Most likely even adding several feet to the butt, given the tip &/or total bending or intrinsic power of yr 3M will be way over the weight of even high grain fly lines.

If yr really interested in building a 2 Hander - take a look at North Fork Composites 14 & 15 foot blanks (still on sale, I think).

Best & stay safe & sound ... 

2 hours ago, frazerp said:

Do move the original to the 2 Hand section of the Fly Fishing forum. There are no stupid questions & you shouldn't get any real stupid answers.

Most likely even adding several feet to the butt, given the tip &/or total bending or intrinsic power of yr 3M will be way over the weight of even high grain fly lines.

If yr really interested in building a 2 Hander - take a look at North Fork Composites 14 & 15 foot blanks (still on sale, I think).

Best & stay safe & sound ... 

ok, ill have it moved over there, and this thing is a pretty light blank, i usually load rods built on them with 1-1.5 oz of weight, but might be worth experimenting

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, fishfinder401 said:

ok, ill have it moved over there, and this thing is a pretty light blank, i usually load rods built on them with 1-1.5 oz of weight, but might be worth experimenting

tape fly reel on that blank,20" center off fly reel,tape guides and go to field cast to test that out.

main thing you have to use proper weight of shooting head to get longest distance and good feeling ,how the rod work.

if you use fly line with out proper shooting head it will not work.

what i am teling you.

you take 6 oz action spining rod and start casting 1/4 jig head,you would get same resalts when you cast with 2x4,10' long,lot of work but no casting distance.

we are looking for litle work and long distance casting,i told you how to make shooting head for casting practise,only if you cast you will know.

Edited by snag777