sbcbmx112

tiling tips/how to prep this area

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never laid tile before so I figured I'd start small.  Tile is 2" x 2" mesh backed on a 1' x 1' square.  The area gets mild foot traffic and occasional dropped firewood.  The floor surrounding the area flexes a tiny bit from the old water damage.  How should I prep this area?  The leak that caused water damage was repaired a while ago.  I was thinking I'd use cement board between the tile and subfloor, does that make sense or will the grout crack if I don't use something like ditra?  Any tips/advice welcome, thanks!

5ede87946b6d1_fireplace1sm.jpg.91b42a98e3bb807b2bae2dfa20d750ed.jpg5ede879600c9c_fireplace2sm.jpg.64dd78cdeeadba59922f0c84d59eb769.jpg

Edited by sbcbmx112

I would definitely cut out and replace that section of subfloor that I highlighted here...

floor.jpg.8a0e1d04a54807761bada727af232f67.jpg

Add framing as needed to create a new strong floor.

19 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I would definitely cut out and replace that section of subfloor that I highlighted here...

floor.jpg.8a0e1d04a54807761bada727af232f67.jpg

Add framing as needed to create a new strong floor.

Agreed.

Then, as you said cement board, tile.

Just looks to be a water stain...not sure..jab it with an awl or screwdriver. If it’s rot, then yeah, replace. 

39 mins ago, hwsmike said:

Just looks to be a water stain...not sure..jab it with an awl or screwdriver. If it’s rot, then yeah, replace. 

So it holds up fine to being jabbed with a flathead but when I step on it that section definitely flexes more than the rest. 

Is it open underneath (unfinished space? If so you could add some framing as suggested before to shore it up. Deflection is not your friend. 

26 mins ago, Chunkah said:

Is it open underneath (unfinished space? If so you could add some framing as suggested before to shore it up. Deflection is not your friend. 

Yep, it should be easy enough to add framing.  Underneath is a crawlspace.  I’ll have to go under and make sure no ducts are blocking access.

11 hours ago, robalomann said:

May want to consider an isolation membrane, avoid future flexing problems

Maybe a little overkill...it’s a low traffic area, and my approach may be 1/4- 1/2” backer, or wire, and thinset then tile. Hard to tell the heights exactly. Good thought though :howdy:

8 hours ago, hwsmike said:

Maybe a little overkill...it’s a low traffic area, and my approach may be 1/4- 1/2” backer, or wire, and thinset then tile. Hard to tell the heights exactly. Good thought though :howdy:

But given how small it is and his first tile job, overkill would not be a bad idea and still very cheap. 5/16 Hardiboard + Ditra would be pretty bombproof. Ditra is <$2/sq ft

1 hour ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Make a template and get one solid piece of stone.

It would looks sweet but is much more likely to break from any substrate issues.  I have 120 year old apartments and I'd never lay tiles bigger than 12x12 due to flexing joists.

Get underneath while someone walks on it, sister up the joists if they flex. Bluestone is much less work.

7BA95820-B816-49A5-A61D-EC2CE466D7A3.jpeg

So we considered a one piece stone but I can't remember why we decided against it.  I'll have to ask my better half and see if she ordered the tile already.