Cape

Viking Reload Kayak

8 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Cape said:

Anyone have experience with this kayak?

I do. Its my go to kayak when I have to surf launch. Its light, fast, very stable in challenging conditions and tracks strait. Whether your punching through waves or surfing therm in, it handles both very well. I also find it very easy to launch and beach because you dont have to deal with pulling the rudder up or down. Another nice feature is once you beach it, you can remove the reload pod very quickly and then pull a much lighter kayak up the beach. On the water the Profish rides very low which helps alot in windy conditions but leaves very little freeboard. You also sit very low in the Profish which means you will be sitting in water however the position is comfortable. With the reload pod being between your legs there's not a whole lot of space to land fish. I usually just hang my legs over the side and land the fish where my legs were. That being said, I do find that the layout of the Profish is very well thought out. Poles and rod holders are all within easy reach, tackle is easyly accessed in the pod and its not difficult to access the back well. There are also three small sealed hatches that can be used to store cellphone, keys or even bait. The batteries, fishfinder and transducer all reside within the reload pod so I have no cables running through the hull or on deck. Viking also offers a Twin Pod that can be used as a live well so you can have batteries, fishfinder, transducer and live bait all in one pod. Thats the one I use and it works great. The front hatch is the only difficult space to access, you have to move foward straddling the reload pod which is difficult with a 7" fish finder mounted to it. The front hatch is the only hull access and its pretty water tight so water doesnt get in the hull. 

If you are looking for a kayak that can handle open ocean and surf the Profish is an excellent chose.

Yes I own two Viking kayaks. Buy one you won’t regret it is all I have to say. 

Plus I’ll Second what pine said.  

Yes. Friend of mine just got one. Nice boat. Can almost keep up with me on my Stealth...almost. He is a bigger guy, 6'5" normal weight for that height and its a wet butt ride. Rod holder placement is good, open back area is nice. I am not sure I like the small round hatches but I'm more used to 1 giant hatch. Boat looks well built and seems solid.Fit and finish look great, tackle pod is very nice overall.

This is one of the yaks I'm interested in getting if/when I decide to BTB again.  I do not want to surf launch the Slayer unless it's a very calm day. And even then I would stick close to shore.

The Reload seems to tick all of the good boxes for a functional btb paddle yak. 

The Viking kayaks surf very well. I’ve had them out with a bigger following surf line at a pass with zero problems. It stayed straight and never wobbled. 

They track perfectly. I have a rudder on mine and truthfully it’s not even needed. My wife’s doesn’t and she’s fine with it as is. 

Your backside will get wet, but obviously you are in a kayak afterall. It’s expected.