46 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new to fishing big water from a kayak, and I'm thinking about trying lower Raritan Bay (Union Beach/Keansburg area) in the next week or so. I would love to go out with some of you more experienced big water kayakers so I could see where and how you're fishing. Based on a post that I saw from MDLR fishing, it looks like you can fish in 15-20 feet of water and be productive, which doesn't seem too far out and safe.

I'd love to find someone going out and tag along. Please let me know. 

Welcome my friend. I haven’t been able to go out lately but I will send you a message next time I get out. If you are targeting things like strippers and bluefish I’d recommend trolling. It’s a great way to find out where fish are especially if you are new to the area. I’ve done really well trolling sp minnows and I know a lot of guys like to troll the tube and worm. Just be safe when you do go out. A good weather app is your friend 

Thanks Big Red, I appreciate it. I'm getting myself set to troll some tubes n worms, and I'll get some sp minnows as well as crankbaits; I have my kayak pretty set (I've been fishing Spruce Run Reservoir and doing well with the hybrids, which has been a blast), so I'm getting ready to head out on the maiden voyage in the salt. My Old Town 120 PDL is now a month new and has experience on Lake Hopatcong and Spruce Run, and I didn't think that I'd be back in the salt, then I found some videos of kayak fishing the spring run and this forum. Hahaha here we go again...anyways, that's for another day...

I'm looking at fishing Friday -- it's looking like winds will be calm with no or minimal seas. From Union Beach, it's looking like I can get into 20' or so of water in short order, then will look for structure and look to mark fish in the area. Waters are still cold and reports are showing big linesiders in the area, so I'm thinking that it could be a productive time on the water. I should be able to fish the incoming tide. Anyways, looking good for a maiden voyage. 

Thanks again. Looking forward to [continuing to] learn from all of you.

OK, now I'm probably looking at going on Sunday morning as it looks like it could still be snotty with 3-4 foot waves on Friday. It's now looking like it will be calm on Sunday, so I'm going to be relegated to fishing Spruce Run or maybe Lake Hopatcong. 

Tube and worm combos should be here by Friday, as should the SP Minnows, so I'm thinking that I'll fish a couple of hours early on Sunday then be off the water.

If anyone wants to come or has any additional guidance, please let me know.

Find a good weather app one for sailing I use windy. I can’t tell you how many times the weather channel has lied to me and gotten me in some pretty hairy situations. This is what the weather looks like for Friday.

B057128E-6733-4582-ABF9-8B0E8F0266BF.jpeg

yeah, I see your point about the app. I am going to go tomorrow, based on what I'm seeing. I've got most everything ready to roll, got the SP Minnows, 16" tubes (and 6" Gulp), going to get waders (when you fish in freshwater, you don't need them), pretty much ready to roll!

Thanks for all the guidance.

35 mins ago, hybrid hunter said:

going to get waders (when you fish in freshwater, you don't need them)

This is a new take (to me anyway) on a tired old discussion point ... would you mind sharing your thinking? - not a stitch up, genuinely would like to understand the rationale, tx 

I presume you're talking about wearing waders. I've read about wearing waders; the rationale is that it keeps you dry from waves. I was thinking about launching -- when I'm in freshwater, I have places where I don't get wet at all.

However, in 80 degree temperatures, you roast.

I'm not going to wear waders because I don't think that I'll be getting that wet and that I can launch in bare feet then paddle (I have a PDL kayak) barefoot or in a pair of light sneakers.

I’ve worn waders when the water is too cold to get wet but not cold enough to prevent me from getting back in my boat. When the water is that cold I always wear my dry suit. If you do wear waders a wading belt is key along with a pfd. Waders don’t make you sink but if they fill with water swimming and climbing back into your boat are going to be next to possible. I’m not saying this is a major issue now but if you do go for a swim in very cold water the key is not to panic. Giver yourself a few seconds to come down before scrambling into your boat. Many people die because they panic and use up all the energy panicking. Other key item is a vhf radio. Coast guard is always monitoring channel 16. Also always have that strapped to your pdf. It’s usless if you fall in and it’s in the boat. It’s also a great tool for talking to other boaters and kayakers. Most I’ve seen have been on channel 69-71.

7 hours ago, hybrid hunter said:

I presume you're talking about wearing waders. I've read about wearing waders; the rationale is that it keeps you dry from waves. I was thinking about launching -- when I'm in freshwater, I have places where I don't get wet at all.

However, in 80 degree temperatures, you roast.

I'm not going to wear waders because I don't think that I'll be getting that wet and that I can launch in bare feet then paddle (I have a PDL kayak) barefoot or in a pair of light sneakers.

A few opinions for your consideration. Temperatures (air and water) should dictate whether waders should be worn, not the concern of getting wet - if getting wet bothers you then yakking may not be for you.

Please do not underestimate places like Round Valley ... just because it is fresh water does not mean it's not a killer - literally .... a little wind in that enclosed area and conditions become very challenging, very fast.

Will likely do a session on Saturday afternoon launching from Sandy Hook into RB ... you're welcome to join if you'd like to see many ways how not to catch fluke efficiently. :th:

Lots to respond to here. I'm on my phone so I'll be short and will respond in more detail later. Africaster, I need to take my daughter to the airport in the afternoon, but if I can, I'll find a way to get out, if not next time. This morning was good, I thought that the water was 10 degrees cooler so was targeting stripers when I should have planned for fluke. I ended up jigging a half dozen fluke, one keeper, on a spro w a gulp sandworm. I left them biting too. 

15 hours ago, Africaster said:

A few opinions for your consideration. Temperatures (air and water) should dictate whether waders should be worn, not the concern of getting wet - if getting wet bothers you then yakking may not be for you.

Please do not underestimate places like Round Valley ... just because it is fresh water does not mean it's not a killer - literally .... a little wind in that enclosed area and conditions become very challenging, very fast.

Will likely do a session on Saturday afternoon launching from Sandy Hook into RB ... you're welcome to join if you'd like to see many ways how not to catch fluke efficiently. :th:

yes it does....glass to white caps within no time. combine that with cold water temps year round. yet i see people paddle boarding there way out in the middle. 

15 hours ago, Africaster said:

I couldn't agree with you more on that place & similar places. Ive experienced 1st hand white caps in round valley in my yak. lucky for me I was omw back to the launch area. I had water coming in fast