julietfox

Penn 704Z vs Penn SSM

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

How does the Penn SSM - if anyone here has used it, (https://pennfishing.com.au/product/penn-spinfisher-metal-spinning-reel/) compare to the Penn Z series (https://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-spinning-reels-penn-z/penn-z-series-spinning/1315424.html#start=16)?
I have read a few articles and reviews about the 704z being generally hard wearing and bulletproof, being able to be used while submerged, merely requiring a clean and grease afterwards (apparently it's a poor man's van staal) etc.

 

I cannot seem to find an assembly manual for the 704z online, if anyone has one available, could you please post it onto this thread or PM me?

 

To clarify, I am from Australia, so the products that I have available to me appear to be different to the products available to the general demographic of this forum; this seems to be a mostly American forum.

 

I have also uploaded the schematics for the reel available to me, if there are any Z series owners wanting to compare notes and figure if my reel will be as bulletproof. (

 

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Penn/Spinning/Spinfisher Z Series/Penn 704Z (2007).pdf) I found the schematics for the 704Z.

 

EDIT: Also, the reason why I would like to find out is because I intend on doing a little bit of swimming out to some rock platforms here, I don't really want to use the reel submerged, but I expect it will be submerged for a prolonged period of time during the swim.

 

EDIT2: After taking a look at the 704z schematic, it seems that the reel itself is incredibly basic; it doesn't have as many ball bearings as the 650ssm. Is that also another reason why the 704Z is so easy to clean?

 

 

Thanks, 

 

JF

 

Penn 650SSM.jpg

Edited by julietfox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve become a big fan of the Z series.  Like you said they are super easy to clean and super easy to rebuild from top to bottom.  For $50 you can buy a really good reel and for a buck or 2 you can get the smaller parts as needed.  I have not tried the SSM but I did buy an SSvi 5500 long cast and returned it.  I feel like the simplicity is what makes it special.  A good maintenance only takes 10 or 15 minutes.  Can’t beat that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid works fine on the Z series also, you just cant fill the spool all the way up. Once you figure out the quirks of the reel they perform great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

I’ve become a big fan of the Z series.  Like you said they are super easy to clean and super easy to rebuild from top to bottom.  For $50 you can buy a really good reel and for a buck or 2 you can get the smaller parts as needed.  I have not tried the SSM but I did buy an SSvi 5500 long cast and returned it.  I feel like the simplicity is what makes it special.  A good maintenance only takes 10 or 15 minutes.  Can’t beat that

 

Do you know of any retailer/shop that would sell these reels new and ship overseas?

 

*

Edited by TimS
We don’t allow buying or soliciting in this forum - that is only allowed in the BST section of this site - please see guidelines at top of the page - thanks :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 704z is a pretty reliable workhorse. The design has been around I believe for 50 or so years. Here in the states you find these old ones in yard sales, fleamarkets, and they still probably work, if not need minor care.

 

You mention being from Australia, and wanting to swim with it. I don’t think anyone here is going to recommend swimming with the 704z tho. If it takes a dunking here, and there okay, pack it with grease. But if your going to swim with it, you’d best be taking the reel apart every time, and fully cleaning that salt out of it. That’s going to be a pain in the ass.

 

To answer your last question, I’m sure you can find the reels new on eBay, and probably amazon. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, julietfox said:

 

Do you know of any retailer/shop that would sell these reels new and ship overseas?

 

*

Give Carolina_supply a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 704 and a 711,which i got from fleabay shipped from the USA.Tried a spinfisher VI and sold the 704/711 a few months ago.Last price on new 704's off fleabay i think i'd seen them around AU$250 delivered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly if you dunk it here and there I wouldn’t bother with packing it with grease. My 704Z is my main surf reel and I went down that road, nothing but a headache. Grease will just end up oozing out of it and making a mess.

 

As others have stated this reel is so easy to disassemble and maintain. Just lightly grease the gears and pop the cover off every once and a while to see if there’s any water inside and clean/apply fresh grease as needed.

 

I think drilling some holes in the rotor cup to drain water is a more important mod to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a nice green 704 in the BUY Sell trade forum-ask about shipping -if fair I would buy it -Otto Henze the maker of Penn reels motto was  Make It Simple Make It Work--rreelman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 3:23 PM, ozifish said:

I had a 704 and a 711,which i got from fleabay shipped from the USA.Tried a spinfisher VI and sold the 704/711 a few months ago.Last price on new 704's off fleabay i think i'd seen them around AU$250 delivered.

That is a great tip mate. I can't believe I have never heard of Fleabay before. How come you didn't stick with the 704?

Also, do you reckon the shims and other parts of the 704 would be interchangeable with parts that would be available to us?

2 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

Honestly if you dunk it here and there I wouldn’t bother with packing it with grease. My 704Z is my main surf reel and I went down that road, nothing but a headache. Grease will just end up oozing out of it and making a mess.

 

As others have stated this reel is so easy to disassemble and maintain. Just lightly grease the gears and pop the cover off every once and a while to see if there’s any water inside and clean/apply fresh grease as needed.

 

I think drilling some holes in the rotor cup to drain water is a more important mod to consider. 

Thank you for that suggestion, I'll keep it in mind if I ever get one.

 

 

------

 

In all honesty though, I've decided against the 704 because spare parts may be too pricy. I've ordered myself an Australian reel instead; an Alvey rod and reel set up.

I will still be looking at getting one eventually for all the history associated with it, plus you know, because it's a Penn reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.