Overmodulated

Layering Etex for durability - how many coats?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did a quick search but could not find a dedicated thread on this:

Do you find that more layers (> 2) of epoxy helps prevent chipping and hook rash?  What do you believe to be the optimum number of coats before it works against you?

Many thanks!

Edited by Overmodulated

I believe that every coat is only another way to mess up your plug, epoxy is very tricky thing to work with sometimes.  I limit my epoxy coats to 2 layers at most but I prefer none at all (other types of clear coat) as lures such as a metal lip can have a different action with the added weight of more coats.  If your like me and dislike epoxy you should try automotive clear coat but be warned it is very toxic, I myself do not use it as I am a young plug builder but I believe I will use it later on.  And lastly if you do spray automotive clear coat, Safety First!

I do not think that adding more layers or epoxy prevents hook rash or chipping.  The reason that epoxy chips or flakes is because it is not chemically bonded to your paint or your paint isn’t chemically bonded to your sealer/wood,  that is why a clear coat such as automotive is very nice because it is a very thin layer that will chemically bond to your paint and primer creating a lure that once it begins to have hook rash the paint and clear coat will not chip or flake.

Thanks @t_man7

Every time my lures chip from banging them up the damaged spot is always white, exposing the primer.  That is the only layer that's adhering well.  The acrylic outer paint comes off with the epoxy layers.  Wish I could improve the primer-to-paint bond.

I use testors aztek paint.

6 hours ago, Overmodulated said:

Thanks @t_man7

Every time my lures chip from banging them up the damaged spot is always white, exposing the primer.  That is the only layer that's adhering well.  The acrylic outer paint comes off with the epoxy layers.  Wish I could improve the primer-to-paint bond.

I use testors aztek paint.

Experiment and see what works well with each other and what works for your style.

With E-tex I always use 2 coats but a sharp hook powered by a thrashing fish against epoxy covered wood, the hook always wins. Hook rash is inevitable if you are catching fish. Most guys probably have a completely beat up plug that they will tell you "I caught so many bass on this plug" 

My best plugs are all beat up! When a baitfish is injured, its got a gash/missing scales/ etc.   thats how a good plug should look.   

but to answer your question. Stripers 2.  Ive made plugs for Ulua and you have to take the weight of epoxy with 7-8 layers in consideration with how much lead to be adding.   Ulua are brutal on plugs with the razor sharp teeth and brutal pit bull strength.  

Im using clear coat 

I epoxy seal  then do another  coat then paint then 2 more coats

Im set up for automotive paint and have high end guns ,  holds up well.

I like epoxy though

bassmaster,

If I could spray a topcoat, I would never screw with epoxy topcoat again. When epoxy works, it's great, smooth, shiny, durable, but nothing pisses me off more than going to bed with 6 good looking plugs on my spinner, and waking up to find out that etex has found some fresh new way to wreck a batch of my plugs. Some can be saved with a second coat, and yeah, the fish don't care, but I do.

I seal the wood with etex and that works great, but I'd spray the new urethane clears in a heartbeat if it was an option for me.

13 hours ago, Ed White said:

bassmaster,

If I could spray a topcoat, I would never screw with epoxy topcoat again. When epoxy works, it's great, smooth, shiny, durable, but nothing pisses me off more than going to bed with 6 good looking plugs on my spinner, and waking up to find out that etex has found some fresh new way to wreck a batch of my plugs. Some can be saved with a second coat, and yeah, the fish don't care, but I do.

I seal the wood with etex and that works great, but I'd spray the new urethane clears in a heartbeat if it was an option for me.

Yup 

I use a total of 3 coats.  1 to seal, and 2 to finish.  The plugs last a long time and if fished a lot they stay true when coming off the spinner.   Get into some bluefish and you will notice some teeth marks but to me, that gives the plug character.  

On 6/16/2020 at 6:17 PM, Ed White said:

bassmaster,

yeah its a pain in the ass,  I could skip it and do  automotive clear to seal and automotive paint ,  or linseed oil wich i may do again, will see

When adding several coats of etex, keep in mind that you are adding weight with each coat. Each coat on an 7” pencil popper adds 1/8 oz. On bigger lures like my Dannys the weight per coat is even more. On pencils it’s not teribly important, but with some needles and metal lips it can be important.