FaceBook Account hacked, dammit.

Rate this topic

BrianBM

18 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I'm on FB to keep in touch with friends. I don't actually post much.  I agree with CnR - I NEVER pay bills over the Internet. 

Oddly, this is the second time this has happened. I had to change password a year or two ago. The new password was ten characters long, in upper and lower case, including special characters and numbers. How the heck did the wretch manage to be me?

I think the last hack originated (FB said) in Cleveland, and I think it was done on Chrome on Win10 too.

Maybe you downloaded something and installed a keylogger on one of your devices? Also, run you email/usernames through this website - https://leakpeek.com/, it will tell you if they were part of any data breaches.

10 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Sounds like your computer is infected with a virus that captures key strokes.  When was the last time you ran a good anti-virus program?

I run Malwarebytes, the for-pay version. It hasn't complained of anything bad.

19 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Everyone's entire life savings is on line.

We've all been hacked.  Wont be long now.

Alls my banking is on the wheb. Billions 

Not my banking, thank you very much. Even without that, an attempt was made on my savings account; a friendly male who knew the last four digits of my SS called up and wanted to transfer a sizeable part of my account to a Brooklyn bank. .... my bank didn't bite. Good for them.

A large percentage of corporate infrastructure sits offshore.  Service level agreements are normally in place but it's difficult to ensure they're adhered to especially with regards to who has access to the systems/data. It's boils down to cost and outsourcing/offshoring infrastructure saves a phenomenal amount of money, but at the end of the day, the company is no longer in total control of the systems.   All while there's bots, governments and others banging away trying to get in 24/7/365.......if the systems are not looked after the're going to get hacked. 

It's a pain but change your passwords frequently.  Also, 3rd party identity protection, and limiting banking institutions as much as possible so you can quickly monitor them can help.  Nobody is immune.....unless you go the paper route which is mostly safe.  My thoughts.....worth the price you paid for them.              

Salt air provides the levity needed for survival.

• 2 weeks later...

There’s another layer of protection that FB account offers in case you decided to use different PC, locations or network. It’s always safe to use this protection since it will text you a temporary access code straight to your phone every time you use different pc, network, locations or any device not recognizable by the Apps. Banks, Yahoo mail services, etc uses this features you just need to activate it. Even if you changed your passwords a couple of times if there’s a key logger malware exist in your device it will never be safe. Another layer of protection is also to use of VPN whenever you use an internet to hide your ip address and locations.

rules.gif