flyfishvt

Any news from the Cape?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Headed down on Sat for our annual week in paradise and looking for some first hand accounts.  OTW reports suggest that tons of larger than average schoolies have surrounded the Cape.

Anyone confirm these reports??

There have been plenty of 26" fish available by boat in WH and the Vineyard/Nantucket sound rips. 

From shore it is mostly smaller stuff plus hickory shad in the Falmouth area.   

We've got a wide range of fish at the moment. A lot of small fish with mid 20s in the mix. There are good fish to be had but you’ve gotta put in the time. 

My mates are getting into plenty of mid twenty inch fish plus odd one close to 30.

Find the right spot and you will catch. Fish at night and maybe you will do better than 30 inch.

Up in the inside can produce bigger fish than on the outside.

Hope your trip goes well.

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

I concur with everything they said ^. This morning I saw some small bunker against the beach but no fish. I took a trip to chappy beach in Falmouth this evening and there were large schools of what looked to be silversides. The terns were keying in on them and dive bombing right off the shore! Once again there were no fish other than a few sea robins. Is it still a skunk if I catch one of those?

Edited by Middycd

I haven't been down the cape yet  but I've heard rumors of the big boys being pulled up. I've had luck with 1 fish on 1 outing with a clouser on the south shore, going to try the same thing on the bay side this weekend. 

2020-06-08.jpeg

Fishing sunset to dark on the Bay side and the South side. The bass are getting to the micro level with a few low 20 inch fish mixed in. Trend is definitely towards smaller fish.

5 hours ago, Bucko said:

Fishing sunset to dark on the Bay side and the South side. The bass are getting to the micro level with a few low 20 inch fish mixed in. Trend is definitely towards smaller fish.

Bucko

It has been like  that for past few years. Dark to just before dawn can give you way bigger fish. 

Mike

mixed bag.10" fish them boom! 30" fish.I've spent most of my time on the surface with home tied sliders and poppers.5" is plenty long.Also,it's a tease for both the fish and you.They'll follow and swirl.Stop and pop...………..slide...………..pop...……..stop.BOOM! Some fish have come right to almost the rod tip.Low light and clouds darkness have been the bigger ticket.Size of the swirl or hit doesn't give away the size by any means.Be ready for some great busting runs.

I also got into some micros this morning on the fly rod, Shadow you've got me convinced to tie up a couple gurglers to see if I can't get some of that popper action. 

Micro Striper.jpeg

Not a lot of keeper size fish around. The larger fish are 22-24 inches in length. Lots of dinks. So, 2021 should be a great year with

those fish being keeper size. FishHawk

Hmmm...thanks for all the input guys.  Figured the real reports might differ significantly from the OTW reports.  Had really hoped the schoolies would be a larger class this year (fewer dinks) but still really pumped for our trip.  Headed down Sat for a week...will post on my return.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:51 AM, MassHolesandPools said:

I also got into some micros this morning on the fly rod, Shadow you've got me convinced to tie up a couple gurglers to see if I can't get some of that popper action. 

Micro Striper.jpeg

If you hit any east facing beaches take an old saying from a great friend of mine and one of the best surfmen to fish the beaches of Cape Cod."Bottom is king"! pound that sand.The fish are in pods so be patient and be ready to chase[sprint] to keep up with the pods or wait it out.Seals are moving up too.In calmer waters the topwater game is quite steady.Sliders are the most fun.Be patient and "fish" your flies.Some rip and strip has worked on occaision.Good luck...…...keep your locations tight.