Sevendust111

Bait chucker setup suggestions

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I originally posted this a few weeks ago in the main forum and was hoping it would get a little more “Jersey love”. Got a lot of “go big or go home” type answers that didn’t understand Jersey waters. I mean I’m not fishing for Tarpon haha. My Longitude/6000 combo now has to many issues to use so I am looking to buy immediately....

I currently have two bait chucker setups. My first is a Penn Battle 2 5000 paired with a 10’ MH Penn Prevail 1-5oz. This is nice and relatively light but I am afraid to put more than 4oz on it. My other is a Battle 6000 with a 10’ H Okuma Longitude 3-8. This setup is way too stiff and heavy. I need something in between these two.

I already know for the reel, I want a Daiwa BG, but I am unsure of the size. Thinking either the 4,000, 4,500, or 5,000.

For the rod, I have no idea. I’m looking to spend no more than 150 taxes and tags. Was thinking the Tica Dolphin, but I hate the color scheme. Thinking probably a 10’6, 2-6oz, must be 2 piece. I need it to whip so I can launch it.

This will be used to fish for bass and blues at the Bayshore but also out front for slightly bigger stuff. Thinking about putting 40 or 50lb braid on it. Mostly use worms, clams and bunker. Thanks guys. 

I very much enjoy my 11ft xh tsunami airwave (TSAWSS102XH) for chunking. Its rated 4-8 oz, but i’ve never had much of a problem chucking 5 + a chunk. Retail is usually a hair above your price point, but bigger retailers sometimes have them at around $150.

Maybe the next size up penn will work. They have a 2-6 oz. in the prevail and battalion line. I think 11’.
I have a 10’ tsunami airwave rated 3-6 oz. that I like. It’s conventional but they probably make a spinning version. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, VF96 said:

I very much enjoy my 11ft xh tsunami airwave (TSAWSS102XH) for chunking. Its rated 4-8 oz, but i’ve never had much of a problem chucking 5 + a chunk. Retail is usually a hair above your price point, but bigger retailers sometimes have them at around $150.

Is it as stiff and heavy as the longitude?

Edited by Sevendust111

16 hours ago, autonomos said:

Maybe the next size up penn will work. They have a 2-6 oz. in the prevail and battalion line. I think 11’.
I have a 10’ tsunami airwave rated 3-6 oz. that I like. It’s conventional but they probably make a spinning version. 

I was looking at those. The prevail 2 came out recently. I was hoping to get something with a little more backbone. I want to be able to cast 5oz and a chunk with confidence.

2 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

Is it as stiff and heavy as the longitude?

It has a lot of backbone to it - I’ve used it to land some large sharks from the surf in past years. However, it’s also light enough that it doesn’t completely overpower stripers or gator blues when I’m chunking for bass. I also tend to not spike my rods - usually hold the rod in one and and have the line in free spool as i hold it with my other hand, and I’d say it matches up pretty favorably against other chunking rods I’ve used from a weight perspective

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, autonomos said:

Next size up prevail 4-8 oz.?  Maybe you’re turned off by the 12’  length?

Yea 12 is out. 11 is the biggest I’ll go,  rather it be 10.5 but that is looking unlikely.

Edited by Sevendust111

7 hours ago, VF96 said:

It has a lot of backbone to it - I’ve used it to land some large sharks from the surf in past years. However, it’s also light enough that it doesn’t completely overpower stripers or gator blues when I’m chunking for bass. I also tend to not spike my rods - usually hold the rod in one and and have the line in free spool as i hold it with my other hand, and I’d say it matches up pretty favorably against other chunking rods I’ve used from a weight perspective

Id rather go heavy and not xh. Do you have any experience with the Trophy 2’s?

On 6/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, Sevendust111 said:
Got a lot of “go big or go home” type answers that didn’t understand Jersey waters. I mean I’m not fishing for Tarpon haha.

I used to think like that too. A few fish took me to school and taught me the error of my ways

One in particular still haunts me. Up in a creek on the bay, an Abu 6500 reel on a 1 to 4 oz rated 9' rod throwing bunker heads - I couldn't even slow him down

Lesson learned

Don't know if they're still made but my father is still using the spinner, and I've converted the conventional to an Alvey rod

34 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Don't know if they're still made but my father is still using the spinner, and I've converted the conventional to an Alvey rod

I don’t they they make a surf version of it anymore. Any other suggestions? 

There are a lot of choices out there but I'm still very happy with my old stuff (St Croix and Harnells) and have lost track of what's out there now.

The differences between the high end bait sticks and the mid range aren't really that large (wally world Kmart stuff is trash) so put the money into the reel where the differences are much larger

You might want to think about learning to conventional cast if you're going to mainly be a bait guy

19 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

I don’t they they make a surf version of it anymore. Any other suggestions? 

It was never a "surf" rod

It was a kerplunking rod - made for lobbing up to 1 lb weights plus bait for sturgeon in big rivers

There's a 10'6" rod listed with up to 60# line rating and unlimited weight - that might be the same, or very similar, rod

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

You might want to think about learning to conventional cast if you're going to mainly be a bait guy

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I used to think like that too. A few fish took me to school and taught me the error of my ways

One in particular still haunts me. Up in a creek on the bay, an Abu 6500 reel on a 1 to 4 oz rated 9' rod throwing bunker heads - I couldn't even slow him down

Lesson learned

Was it the rod or the reel?