unclebunker

Gulf of Maine re- opened and de-regulated

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Stumbled onto a CNN program last night,during which Trump- in a small panel of interested Maine petitioners-signed a bill re-opening 5000 sq.miles in the Gulf of Maine to commercial fishing.Regulations? If I saw it right,he delegated regulatory actions to Maine's ex-governor (now elbow-deep in Maine's fish processing and distribution industry) and-  I dunno -some lobsterman or someone.Now,nobody (except maybe Tim Tower) likes jiggin' for cod in the Gulf of Maine more than I do,but after years and years of science,analysis,battles,and commisions, it appears the fate of everything from elvers to right whales in the Gulf of Maine is being handed over to people who may act only in there own self-interests.So say goodby to the virginal bottom left out there-the scallopers'll be comin'. Restrictions? Grab and take.Mid-water trawls'll take care of the herring.But I'm a doom and gloom kinda guy.My chief concern is that every other Atlantic state's gonna want the same thing when they hear what happened,leading to...?  Maybe,between Covid,societal revolution,and old age, I'm just depressed.I'm countin' on you guys to cheer me up.How about it.     Unk.

It's not the Gulf of Maine.  It's the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument, which lies about 130 miles southeast of Cape Cod, at the edge of, and in the case of the seamounts, just beyond, the continental shelf.

Foolish thing to do; there are some corals there that are 4,000 years old, and can be destroyed by bottom-tending gear.  Also probably going to lead to more right whale enganglements.

Expect to see lawsuiuts filed soon.

Total bummer. Can’t this bozo just croak already? I’ll sign the petitions to fight this whenever they inevitably begin to form. 

Just add that one to the over 100 Environmental Laws, Rules and Regulations Trump has overturned.  It kills me that sportsmen actually voted for him and will vote for him again.  Clean Air, Clean Water, Endangered Species, pffftt, who needs them?

2 hours ago, clambellies said:

Just add that one to the over 100 Environmental Laws, Rules and Regulations Trump has overturned.  It kills me that sportsmen actually voted for him and will vote for him again.  Clean Air, Clean Water, Endangered Species, pffftt, who needs them?

That’s the one that really flabbergasts me...how does that work? Seemingly someone who spends a good portion of their life pursuing things that are often a direct result of healthy, properly managed, ecosystems have no trouble with a man who cares so little about these places and their inhabitants yet cares so much about the capitalistic ventures that result in the associated exploitation. Not to mention his goofball son who’s allegedly such a careful outdoorsman...or is he just the sacrificial lamb that gets to go on guided trips and greenwash things enough to distract from this type of bs. 

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

That’s the one that really flabbergasts me...how does that work? 

It's the act of twisting oneself into a pretzel in order to preserve one's tribal political allegiance. 

On 6/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, unclebunker said:

Stumbled onto a CNN program last night,during which Trump- in a small panel of interested Maine petitioners-signed a bill re-opening 5000 sq.miles in the Gulf of Maine to commercial fishing.Regulations? If I saw it right,he delegated regulatory actions to Maine's ex-governor (now elbow-deep in Maine's fish processing and distribution industry) and-  I dunno -some lobsterman or someone.Now,nobody (except maybe Tim Tower) likes jiggin' for cod in the Gulf of Maine more than I do,but after years and years of science,analysis,battles,and commisions, it appears the fate of everything from elvers to right whales in the Gulf of Maine is being handed over to people who may act only in there own self-interests.So say goodby to the virginal bottom left out there-the scallopers'll be comin'. Restrictions? Grab and take.Mid-water trawls'll take care of the herring.But I'm a doom and gloom kinda guy.My chief concern is that every other Atlantic state's gonna want the same thing when they hear what happened,leading to...?  Maybe,between Covid,societal revolution,and old age, I'm just depressed.I'm countin' on you guys to cheer me up.How about it.     Unk.

Sad stuff

"Trump opens Atlantic sanctuary to commercial fishing"

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump announced on Friday he will open up a 5,000 square mile conservation area in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of New England to commercial fishing."

Hasn't this fishery been open forever until 4 years ago? Was there destruction being done before the Federal Act was in place in 2016? What type of commercial fishing is expected to be done?

Is it draggers? 

14 hours ago, clambellies said:

We want dirty air, dirty water, kill endangered species,what a moron you are to think that. I guess you watch CNN too.