changed

Short Skagit line for stripers?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm brand new to striper fishing-- moving back to Maine this week and fishing the salt for the first time.

Bought a 10' 8 weight BVK, and I have a 325 grain Wulff Ambush Short integrated skagit line from my spey salmon setup. It has a 16' head.

Would this setup work for one handed overhead casting into the surf/estuaries/ etc...?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It will get you in the game right now for sure. 

And if you haven't done so, visit maine fly fish dot com....saltwater.  Great group of guys and gals willing to help out.

Edited by Squish

That head is awfully short for overhead and must be used with tips.  Can add a 10' Rio replacement tip in clear intermediate.  Will add around 100+ grains.   Or you could add a 10' or 12' Airflo clear salmon steelhead (or saltwater) polyleader which I believe adds only another ~80g or so.  I'd not suggest any more grains than this for overhead. Even then it will slow that rod down.  The BVK rod should not be overloaded IMO. 

I use a 400 grain third coast Skagit on my 13' 7 meiser with a 10' T-11 head- does nicely.  I use the 400 grain opst intermediate on my CTS 11/10 with airflow poly leaders and it is a cannon.  Finally, I use the 440 grain third coast on my opal 9/10 with a 10' T-11 and it too gets out there.  I have tried scandi lines without much success.

420 grains on an 8 wt rod is likely too many. I would not like casting that load on my 10 wts.

You are almost certainly better off buying a full single hand fly line. These are designed to be used with single hand rods and will work so much better. Especially in surf.

Mike

Thanks for the input ya'll. 

Today I cast a TFO Mangrove with a Rio Striper line and that made up my mind for me... it's a cannon of a line that I'll surely be picking up for my setup.