Racism....Have you seen it?

Rate this topic

The Riddler

25 mins ago, HopHead said:

You live in china?

Chinese citizens are here speaking on these acts. I believe them. I see the truth in their first hand experience and accounts. I didn't attend the holocaust but my family survived it and my presence is proof. Does that count?

2 hours ago, flydog777 said:

If you define racism as putting muslims in internment camps for reeducation.  Then yes it is alive in well in China.

Oddly they have been unkind to most afro americans living there. Further reports of this have been silenced. So what is worse than racism? Silencing it and ignoring the torture and imprisonment of a people based on their religion? The democrats want nothing but to hold China's hand. Joe Biden has said " they are our friends." So it is ok for the democratic party to endorse friendships with countries enacting racism on a daily basis. While a free Hong Kong lies moments from a violent hostile Chinese repatriation. So why can't the Democrats fully explain this relationship?

Its truth. Progress in china has to creep to property rights and then allow religion. 

6 hours ago, Reed422 said:

The biggest problems in this country that causes racism is poverty and infrastructure. Saying BLM or whatever other band they want to do doesn’t help. Fixing real problems will.

Yes. And most of that wont happen because theres a political edge that would lessen with progress. 

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

And you don't!?! Racism sucks and everybody has a racistn bone in their body for one thing or another and those of you who don't admit it are lying through your teeth. I'm a tan colored Puerto-Rican and grew up in neighborhoods with Jews, Italians and Irish people in Queens & Brooklyn. I personally never ran into a rasicist issue, I have witnessed it but just name calling at others. I get along with everybody because life is too short to be bothered with hating or disliking a person for their skin color. I do dislike anybody and everybody thats acts disrespectful and maliciously want's to hurt another person simply because they don't look like you. If you act like a scumbag you deserve to get treated like a scumbag... 

I totally believe your bone isn't racist...

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

I have. Grew up in the 70's and 80's in the Boston area, and have remained here my entire life. Heard kids throwing the N word around growing up, but they were certainly a small minority. I was fortunate to grow up in a town that had some diversity; whites, blacks, orientals, hispanics, jews, middle eastern folk...mostly we were all just people and got along without thinking about color or religion. But I'd visit family down south every summer, and I made friends with a neighborhood kid who happened to be black. "Why you always hanging out with that * boy?" is what I'd get. It seemed so absurd to me that it the color of my friends skin mattered and in the end, soiled my relationship with that family member.  On the other side, my oldest son, who was one of only a few white kids in his middle school class when we still lived in Boston proper, got nicknamed "white milk" by the staff at his school which then lead to open season on him on the bus and in class...reverse racism is certainly real and I don't term it as such; racism in any form is racism. Now we moved to the burbs (a bit) and although it may be prevalent here I don't see it, and I don't see any signs of it in my kids. That I am thankful for. 

20 mins ago, Chunkah said:

I have. Grew up in the 70's and 80's in the Boston area, and have remained here my entire life. Heard kids throwing the N word around growing up, but they were certainly a small minority. I was fortunate to grow up in a town that had some diversity; whites, blacks, orientals, hispanics, jews, middle eastern folk...mostly we were all just people and got along without thinking about color or religion. But I'd visit family down south every summer, and I made friends with a neighborhood kid who happened to be black. "Why you always hanging out with that * boy?" is what I'd get. It seemed so absurd to me that it the color of my friends skin mattered and in the end, soiled my relationship with that family member.  On the other side, my oldest son, who was one of only a few white kids in his middle school class when we still lived in Boston proper, got nicknamed "white milk" by the staff at his school which then lead to open season on him on the bus and in class...reverse racism is certainly real and I don't term it as such; racism in any form is racism. Now we moved to the burbs (a bit) and although it may be prevalent here I don't see it, and I don't see any signs of it in my kids. That I am thankful for. 

My buddy is Korean and used to live in the DOT. He said that black people there were super racist calling him a chink and to go back to China. 

6 hours ago, DAQ said:

I was born in the 60’s and lived in a blue collar predominantly Irish section of Boston during part of the 70’s. Parts of my mother’s family disowned her because she married a “colored” man. I am a dark skinned half breed, nobody has ever mistaken me for white. I was, however, confused with or labeled as many other things. Into my 20’s I had been called the “N”, “G”, “C”, “SN”, and two “S” words (probably forgetting some too). Plenty of other comments were made too. BTW, these comments came from black people also. We were taught at a young age, ignore what anybody says, but, if they touch us we could fight.  My brothers and I had to fight because we were different.

After my father completed his 20 in the military we moved to a predominantly white city. My grade school had us, and two black families, the rest were whites. My brothers and I had to fight there too. Our house was vandalized, our cars were vandalized, and we were threatened, sometimes with weapons. We were often shadowed by security guards when we went to the local stores to the point we would out them or just talk to them when they followed us. Through High school I had teachers that would use the “N” and “S” words and made no attempt to hide their dislike for people of color.

In my mid 20’s I was in DC for a funeral. My brother in law (white) and I go out to a bar for drinks we are both to stupid to know what kind of neighborhood we are in. Walk into the bar and it’s all blacks, with the exception of the bar tender. We sit at the bar and the bar tender looks at my brother in law and says, “Man, I’m glad to see you here”. He then goes into the kitchen and gets a bowl of bar snacks and put it between us. I grab a handful and the bar tender looks at me with daggers in his eyes, grabs the bowl, and moves it to the other side of my brother in law. “These are for him”.

Throughout the years the frequency of these issues diminished though and as Jim P said, they decline with every passing year.  It’s been decades since I have been made to feel uncomfortable due to race. The country has become very diverse and many young people and new arrivals will never know the challenges and obstacles of the past.

Yes, there is still racism and there always will be. In my personal experience and observation, the level of racism has greatly declined. Unfortunately the media and race baiters would have you believe racism and oppression are as widespread as ever. I know I am "part of the problem" for not seeing racism everywhere, I can live with that.

Post of the year on SOL.  Thanks for sharing !

There is far less racism now than ever before. What you have more of is the stoking of the flames with people looking for racism in various situations when there isn't...and social media.

I have experienced more racism as a white person than anyone can imagine after attending the last two years of high school as a minority. I find it amazing that NOBODY has ever said that a black person is racist. It is like it does not exist. Meanwhile, there is a reason why a white person risks quite a lot walking down the street in a black neighborhood. If they see a white person and target him/her, then they are racist... right?

In 2008, white people elected our first black President. From that day forward, everything was all about race. Not sure why he was stoking the racial flames when instead he should have been celebrating his great accomplishment. Then again.. he was (and still is) an activist and had Al Sharpton down to the white house hundreds of times. Makes you wonder why..

You will NEVER completely remove racism from society. Everyone is either racist to a degree or has their preferences when it comes to race but they key is still having the ability to share the same space together. The more we talk about it and create issues, the more divided everyone will be.

The recent situation with the killing of George Floyd, you actually had virtually everyone agreeing that this cop was wrong and should not only lose his job but should see prison time. It was almost unanimous and it was the first time in a long time that the majority could agree. But... that was not good enough. Now we have to take something that was actually uniting us and turn it on its head.

So Riddler... In the past few years I have actually seen more white people who are racist against the white race. Wrap your head around that.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

1 hour ago, CATCHnRELEASE said:

From what i see from these riots and black people making their speeches...

There is a big problem: These people speak worst English than i do, and i was not born here.

What is up with that?

Spelling too!

FB8CA39A-EC48-4DAE-B21D-CEAB13C8C46D.jpeg

What we have NOW is economic enequality which is the mother of what’s happenning.

And, the root cause was racism.

BTW, i am kind of in awe of these black people....they cannot speak English.

They are like in the dark ages.....

What in hell has caused this calamity?

(*member formerly known as 'sevenxseventy01')

12 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I have been asking people I know.  3 minorities and roughly 33 whites everyone under the age of 55 to 25.  All from various parts of Massachusetts. To my astonishment, not one per person came out with one example of Racism.  I am Mexican and Irish but look white, call me the undercover brown person.  Never experienced racism or prejudice.  We have all heard names, we get names out here from all creeds and ethnic backgrounds, that's not racism. 

After talking with people some of us feel favoritism is being confused with racism when it comes to something like jobs and Police Brutality is the action and has no prejudice. 

Hot topic and we have people from all over the Country this forum and different age brackets.  What say you? 

I definitely haven't experienced it personally (I'm white), but I used to date this black girl. I took her on a hot date to Boston Market in Worcester, MA and this dude screamed "F-you N***er" at her as we got out of the car. 

6 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

Children would cry in terror when I entered a house.

I gotta say that made me laugh out loud. :laugh: 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around.