JClams

Waders (Need new ones, What are a trusted pair)

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Its been a minute since I posted or been on here but I'm glad to be back. My 10 year old Patagonia Rio Gallegos Waders are DONE. Theres about 40 holes in them and they're only getting worse. At the time of purchasing they were the Tippy Top of the line as far as the patagonia Brand goes. I love patagonia because they stand behind their equipment and usually really build things with a lot of thought involved. I need a new set of waders and I just went back and looked at the newest and best ones they have now. I threw a set of those in the cart the "Men's Swiftcurrent Expedition Waders" with the "River Salt Wading Boots" and it came out to just over 1,000 bucks. I dont really want to spend that but if I think about how long the last pair lasted me it seems worth the investment.

I appreciate any wisdom.

Thanks,

Joe

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hundreds threads on waders. Will follow, interest is up, stay at home time on hand. Ok my 2nd replacement Bean waders 3 yrs old now leaking. LL Bean has to inspect to determine replacement value or not, per new policy. Patagonia $1000 yikes, Simms waders $$$$. What to do? Too old for wet suit, not flexible enough for on off cycle. Perhaps some company will offer wader insurance at purchase. For instance up charge at purchase say seventy five bucks for replacement pair at half price say in three years. Seldom last more than three years, need them in cold waters. Willing to pay bigger money, but like to get five years. Rant over.

Edited by Livliner
sp

Dryft.  Well made/thought out.  Small company with great customer service.....reasonably priced for how well they are made.

I'm on my third pair of Bean Waders in 4 years.  They keep replacing them which is fine but IDK man....  I can't say that I recommend them but LL Bean is a good company and they do stand behind their products.  I can't see how anyone would sell waders, they all seem to leak at some point.  

They all leak, to make things a bit easier invest in hip waders and those cool looking white rubber boots. Use each when conditions allow but you need to get familiar with all the areas you fish and the weather in that particular area  before you go. All of us here has experienced wearing your chest waders and full gear just to get to the surf and find the waves just barely going over your ankles.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/7/2020 at 0:59 PM, Reed422 said:

Just bought two pairs of waders of the Cabellas brand both leaked day one....

They changed manufacturers.  I only use mine (Cabella's three fork boot foot) about half a dozen times a year and hose them after each use.  I have 10 years on them.  Different things are wrong on them and now have a leak in the book that I am going to patch.  I love the old ones and am not looking forward to having to replace them.

The new Cabellas are not good at all from reports and reviews and guys I know who ordered them and sent them back.  They also won't even say who made the old ones for replacement buckles.

Edited by NJTramcar

I've gotten ten years out of my Simms G3 guide waders with minimal problems. Freshwater, stream, trout fishing and surf. I went through more pair if wading boots then the waders.

Agree with Auce on the G3s. Best pair that I have ever bought.  See if you can also find some on same Simms Vapor Tread boots. They are pretty good and reliable. They stopped making them so they should be on "sale" somewhere on the web, but you got to do some searching if you are a normal foot size. 

10 hours ago, jesgord said:

Dryft.  Well made/thought out.  Small company with great customer service.....reasonably priced for how well they are made.

Just purchased there combo deal wading jacket and waders came with  wader bag  for free. Material looks and feels nice ,need to field test this year in salt water.

I recently purchased a pair of Frogg Togg waders and really like them. I bought them In March on the spur of the moment because my Orvis waders sprang a leak. I was pleasantly surprised when I started using the new Frogg Toggs finding them much more comfortable than the Orvis and previous Bean waders and much lighter in weight. In fact, they reminded me of the old Gralite waders I used to wear and love. I have about 30 surf trips on them so far this season and they are still good. BTW, they are boot foot and have felt soles. They only cost @ $200.

All waders leak. I’m lucky to get a full season before they leak and fishing 100+ trips a year, I’m buying waders every couple of years. I repair the old ones for backup and wear the new ones until they leak. Light leaks are ok if it’s not too cold. I look for light, stockingfoot waders. I use Simms, Patagonia, Hodgeman, whatever. I would look at the Simms Tributary only $180. Google Patagonia wader sale and you will get a link to Patagonias discontinued waders deeply discounted. 

There really are a lot of options 

15 hours ago, prican1 said:

They all leak, to make things a bit easier invest in hip waders and those cool looking white rubber boots. Use each when conditions allow but you need to get familiar with all the areas you fish and the weather in that particular area  before you go. All of us here has experienced wearing your chest waders and full gear just to get to the surf and find the waves just barely going over your ankles.  

Nice thought, however, my experience has always been when wearing hip boots while surf  fishing, one thing is for sure, your going home with wet and cold boys. Never ends up well, cold and wet are no way to enjoy a night of being on the beach. 

The white boots are stylin', I got a similar pair in blue for those calm west wind mornings when the surf is just splashing on the sand. No hips though, couldn't give me a pair.

l used to have hip boots they rotted out they were alright but a good wave would rush in fast and shot right up the leg and you had a wet crouch l never replaced them, l have Beam waders 4 years old will find out soon if they still hold water out along with white knee boots there good for walking the shore line.