Gatr522

Rav 4 for Beach

59 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Cpalms said:

The 3.8 liter engine in the older JK/U isn’t as much of a dog as it’s made out to be be.  No speed demon for sure but reliable plenty for any beach. 

IMO (and many others) by any measure the JK (2007-2018) is better more capable vehicle on and off road than the previous TJ - even with the early  year JK’s having the unloved 3.8 engine. There is a reason Chrysler sold so many of them and how they retain their value today.

Love hearing good things about Jeep. After staying away for a few years after I got rid of the Cherokee-I found it really disappointing to read the critiques here & elsewhere. Even two different sales people at two dealerships spoke of many of the same issues. 

So if more people what to input on the pros & cons of Jeeps I would welcome the info.

Thank you for your input & opinions. 

On 6/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, Gatr522 said:

Just relaying info I read. I have no research firm or experience with a vehicle that I have wanted to own for 20 years.Limited wheel base w the hardtop is /was a desire of mine-any version. I'll be looking at a 2006 this week. Last year of the I6 4.0 engine.

IF Jeep still had their past reliability -the unicorn I'm looking for would be the Renegade. The Fiat engine killed that possibility

Not trying to open a can of worms here. I read here and I believe it.

I don't have the experience or credentials to answer why they hold their value..

You’re worried about reliability so your going to look at a 14 year old vehicle???

1 hour ago, z-man said:

You’re worried about reliability so your going to look at a 14 year old vehicle???

A factor that defies the usual logic-I agree. I worry more about the wear on everything around the engine. If you do a search and read what I have read here-then add consumer reports,edmunds and other Jeep forums you might understand. The 4.0 I6 is legend. 

I may have found what I have been looking for as there was a Rav 4 up until 2012 had a Lexus v6 in it with 4x4 and a locking differential.

If I go that route I will let the beach drivers here know about a 2006 Wrangler in great shape with barely any rust < than 90,000 miles.

IF I lived in close proximity and could dedicate that vehicle to daily beach driving-I'd already own it.

8 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

A factor that defies the usual logic-I agree. I worry more about the wear on everything around the engine. If you do a search and read what I have read here-then add consumer reports,edmunds and other Jeep forums you might understand. The 4.0 I6 is legend. 

I may have found what I have been looking for as there was a Rav 4 up until 2012 had a Lexus v6 in it with 4x4 and a locking differential.

If I go that route I will let the beach drivers here know about a 2006 Wrangler in great shape with barely any rust < than 90,000 miles.

IF I lived in close proximity and could dedicate that vehicle to daily beach driving-I'd already own it.

The 4.0 is good. I had a 2000 Cherokee but at 14 years old everything but the engine is going to be junk. All the sensors, fluid lines etc will be ready to fail. The reason I got rid of my Cherokee was because I was spending more time fixing it than driving it. 

5 mins ago, z-man said:

The 4.0 is good. I had a 2000 Cherokee but at 14 years old everything but the engine is going to be junk. All the sensors, fluid lines etc will be ready to fail. The reason I got rid of my Cherokee was because I was spending more time fixing it than driving it. 

Again-I agree with you. I bought my 2000 Cherokee from reading posts in this forum years ago. The Cherokees sell for more than what I paid for mine with 30.000 miles on it. (with the 4.0 that is) .

So-again-great logical input. If you are interested-do a search on SOL and you might see understand the source of my comments.

Dealer I was at on Sat sold a Cherokee with almost 200 ,000 miles on it in ok physical shape for $15,000    2002.  Had it for 2 days. I saw the listing but was there to look at the Wrangler.

42 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

Again-I agree with you. I bought my 2000 Cherokee from reading posts in this forum years ago. The Cherokees sell for more than what I paid for mine with 30.000 miles on it. (with the 4.0 that is) .

So-again-great logical input. If you are interested-do a search on SOL and you might see understand the source of my comments.

Dealer I was at on Sat sold a Cherokee with almost 200 ,000 miles on it in ok physical shape for $15,000    2002.  Had it for 2 days. I saw the listing but was there to look at the Wrangler.

$15K for a Cherokee? No way. Maybe $1500. That dealer is a liar, stay away from them. 
If you liked the Cherokee then test drive a new 4Runner. You will love it. It’s better in every way and has an even better 4.0 motor. 

Have you been out to corsons recently? The pass to swing around to the bayside is quite unlevel and rutted I am not sure that the clearance on the RAV4 would be sufficient for that route... If you are staying on ocean side it may work a little better?

Have you looked at the lexus models that are based off the Land Cruiser platform - I have heard some good things about them and you may be able to get a deal with an off lease or used private sale with low mileage and well maintained.

2 mins ago, z-man said:

$15K for a Cherokee? No way. Maybe $1500. That dealer is a liar, stay away from them. 
If you liked the Cherokee then test drive a new 4Runner. You will love it. It’s better in every way and has an even better 4.0 motor. 

I can't vouch for the truth telling of ANY car salesman- BUT we were discussing Jeeps- I was going to ask about the Cherokee I saw listed.

I have seen Cherokees (w 4.0) -in the past-with very high mileage sell from 8-10 grand-- so I had no reason to not consider that he was just relaying what occurred.

He also had a few 4 Runners that were fairly priced. 4 Runners are a consideration-as I have noted in previous posts. Very expensive for high mileage. Hold their value-never die and preferable (IMO) to a daily ride to a Wrangler.

I NEVER rush when I look for vehicle. I can walk away from any. 

As noted -within this thread- I'm looking for a unicorn. Beach driving will be 10% or less than the total. SO I'm going to next look at the Rav 4 version from 2012 or before that has a Lexis 3.5 engine and a locking 4x4  and see if it suits me.

If that doesn't do it- 4 runner or xTerra pro 4 and possibly (because of this forum) a Forester pre 2014 CVT trans.

I appreciate all of the input I've received.

ANY body ever try the pre 2012 Rav 4  with the 3.5 v6 and locking 4x4?

6 mins ago, wellman324 said:

Have you been out to corsons recently? The pass to swing around to the bayside is quite unlevel and rutted I am not sure that the clearance on the RAV4 would be sufficient for that route... If you are staying on ocean side it may work a little better?

Have you looked at the lexus models that are based off the Land Cruiser platform - I have heard some good things about them and you may be able to get a deal with an off lease or used private sale with low mileage and well maintained.

Been a while. I haven't driven on the beach for over 8 years. The entrance at Corsons was the only extra soft obstacle when I had a pass.

My Cherokee was not lifted so i had the regular 8.5 " (same as the 2019 rav) and never had a problem. The ruts sometimes were deep from larger vehicles-but I never even came close to being stuck. After reading from a few here-I didn't air down when I went there.

Land Cruiser-yeah boy-that ought to do it. Not what I'm looking for though.

Note the previous post for the Rav  I'm speaking about. (2012 or before w Lexis v6 and LOCKING 4x4) 

Toyota is having a promotion that includes USED cars for 0% 5 year loans until the end of the month. One of the reasons I HAD to eliminate the 2019 alleged locking AWD model. And thanks to SOL- I did.

Thanks for the input.

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

I can't vouch for the truth telling of ANY car salesman- BUT we were discussing Jeeps- I was going to ask about the Cherokee I saw listed.

I have seen Cherokees (w 4.0) -in the past-with very high mileage sell from 8-10 grand-- so I had no reason to not consider that he was just relaying what occurred.

He also had a few 4 Runners that were fairly priced. 4 Runners are a consideration-as I have noted in previous posts. Very expensive for high mileage. Hold their value-never die and preferable (IMO) to a daily ride to a Wrangler.

I NEVER rush when I look for vehicle. I can walk away from any. 

As noted -within this thread- I'm looking for a unicorn. Beach driving will be 10% or less than the total. SO I'm going to next look at the Rav 4 version from 2012 or before that has a Lexis 3.5 engine and a locking 4x4  and see if it suits me.

If that doesn't do it- 4 runner or xTerra pro 4 and possibly (because of this forum) a Forester pre 2014 CVT trans.

I appreciate all of the input I've received.

ANY body ever try the pre 2012 Rav 4  with the 3.5 v6 and locking 4x4?

I owned the 2007 for 8 years, sold it around 175k miles. It is not a beach vehicle. It may work on packed sand,  but in anything somewhat soft there is not nearly enough ground clearance. Also, the undercarriage hates salt, very little corrosion resistance, and the only (major) problems I've ever had with it involved corrosion even with frequent undercarriage washes. I also still got $3,500 even though it was in far from pristine condition when I sold it.

While not my own, I do have experience with an '18 forester on the beach. Aired down a bit, that car just floats across the sand. I would not be worried about a CVT unless you were hauling large loads. For 90% normal usage, and 10% beach usage, I would gladly get a forester. But it is still not a "beach buggy", and you would probably still have to pick and choose which beaches you go to.

Edited by C.Robin

Make sure the RAV4 has front and rear recovery points. You’re going to need them when someone needs to tow you out. I’ve been driving the beach for close to 20 years and rarely seen a RAV4 on the beach and all of the vehicles I have seen stuck are small AWD SUVs. Escapes, CRVs, RAV4, Muranos etc have no business being on the beach. Don’t be this guy and end up blocking the access trail for everyone else. 

CA4D9EC6-EF47-44D7-AF67-756B088DF836.jpeg

9 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I owned the 2007 for 8 years, sold it around 175k miles. It is not a beach vehicle. It may work on packed sand,  but in anything somewhat soft there is not nearly enough ground clearance. Also, the undercarriage hates salt, very little corrosion resistance, and the major only problems I've ever had with it involved corrosion even with frequent undercarriage washes. I also still got $3,500 even though it was in far from pristine condition when I sold it.

Thanks-very helpful. A few questions-did you drive it on the beach? Was it a 6 cylinder 3.5 with the locking 4x4?

A two wheel will work on packed sand. What was the clearance.? Jeep Cherokee was 8.7"  2019 Rav was 8.7" 

Road salt is actually more corrosive that driving the beach from time to time (dry parts only -of course) and a major factor in the 4 Runner-the Wrangler-Cherokee and most of the beloved big trucks. 

Not doubting your experiences-there are some pretty impressive uphill-soft dune vids of the vehicle I'm speaking of.

Again-if beach driving % was reversed to my actual driving. Wrangler/Runner/xTerra would be the main choices.

18 mins ago, z-man said:

Make sure the RAV4 has front and rear recovery points. You’re going to need them when someone needs to tow you out. I’ve been driving the beach for close to 20 years and rarely seen a RAV4 on the beach and all of the vehicles I have seen stuck are small AWD SUVs. Escapes, CRVs, RAV4, Muranos etc have no business being on the beach. Don’t be this guy and end up blocking the access trail for everyone else. 

CA4D9EC6-EF47-44D7-AF67-756B088DF836.jpeg

Very good point and I hear you loud & clear.  My last intention is to not only ruin my time-spend lots of money and be the guy that ruins it for everyone else.  I have seen some 4x4's including a cherokee stuck in situations like that. 

Reminds me though more like to regular cars I've seen stuck. And call me cynical-but the same kind of people also.

I'll check out the clearance and the pull/recovery points also.

There are some impressive vids of the Rav 3.5 4x4s climbing soft sand also.

I'm not ruching-i'm exploring right now.

Thank you for you input.   Thank everyone-not only for me but for anyone who has the same questions.

On 6/7/2020 at 0:59 AM, Gatr522 said:

Hi. For a while I had a 2000 Cherokee and I enjoyed driving the sand to fish. My permit was for Corsons-so I never really had to deal with much soft sand. After reading threads here I didn't even air down for that stretch in the final year or two. 

I thought i had narrowed it down to either a pre 2007 Wrangler or a 4 Runner-but the Rav 4 piqued my interest today. I did a search and there was not much info on the Rav 4 in the sand. I know it's not a 4x4. But I would like to get some feedback from this forum.

I will be driving in NJ and some of the beaches will have ruts & soft sand. Will a Rav 4 be sufficient? It will be my only vehicle and it would be great if the Camry 4 cylinder could pull it off.

Thanks for any input.

Check out this video that was just uploaded about the RAV4 off-road. No skid plates are a big concern. Also TFL generally tests all their trucks on a muddy section of trail. They didn’t even try it with the RAV4. That says something about it’s off-road worthiness.