Gatr522

Rav 4 for Beach

59 posts in this topic

Hi. For a while I had a 2000 Cherokee and I enjoyed driving the sand to fish. My permit was for Corsons-so I never really had to deal with much soft sand. After reading threads here I didn't even air down for that stretch in the final year or two. 

I thought i had narrowed it down to either a pre 2007 Wrangler or a 4 Runner-but the Rav 4 piqued my interest today. I did a search and there was not much info on the Rav 4 in the sand. I know it's not a 4x4. But I would like to get some feedback from this forum.

I will be driving in NJ and some of the beaches will have ruts & soft sand. Will a Rav 4 be sufficient? It will be my only vehicle and it would be great if the Camry 4 cylinder could pull it off.

Thanks for any input.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gatr, Don't do it. It could work if your lucky. Rav's are nice, it's a Toyota. There great for driving in the snow. Built more for soccer mom's.But , it's a 4 banger, fwd, with awd. It's a crossover not a real suv 4 X 4. Your asking for trouble. You will have problems down the road . It's a car . My first choice would be a 4 Runner, or a Jeep wrangle. This week at the DSSP as I was coming off the beach, there was a Jeep Cherokee , the cheap one with fwd, it was stuck before it hit the beach, Next day there was a Rav 4 also stuck. Read the post on beach trucks. Get a real 4 x 4 system, it will have 2 high, 4 high, 4 low, and a locking differential. Awd activates when it feels slippage, some times your already stuck by then. Don't waste your money. 

Edited by hunter123

have had a RAV4 for the last 8-9 years ... daily for first 5 years and fishing/yak transporter since ... snow = yes, dirt/gravel roads = yes, soft beach sand = hell no (unless you're a gifted driver - according to other's opinions, not your own ;) ) ... gutsy little car that punches way above its weight, but not powered for soft sand based on its characteristics ... IMHO

No. The only crossovers that  handle beaches well would be subarau forester/outback, which have great ground clearance and a unique full time AWD system. 

Thanks for the replies. Hunter123 I was hoping that you would give your input and I was certain that it would be against. 

Reading many of the archive posts on beach vehicles-yours included of course -made me certain that my best choices were a pre-2006 Wrangler or a 4 Runner. I know you made a good case for one of the other Jeeps ( had it in some notes that I can't find right now).

Still- I am intrigued by some members here that use Outbacks and the like.

I live a minimum of 70 miles from the coast. I will be seriously depleted of funds regardless of which vehicle I acquire and I will need this vehicle for work also. So it definitely won't be a daily beach use and gas mileage eventually will be a factor. 

It would be great if I could find a doable niche.

Without any research I stopped by a Jeep dealer in Jan. The salesman showed me a renegade. Thought it was perfect-until I researched here & elsewhere. Fiat engine-and Jeep had ruined itself since the time I had sold my Cherokee. I obviously hadn't even checked since then. It's like an American horror story.

For a 4 Runner I will have to get a much older vehicle. For a Wrangler I was only looking at pre 2007 because of the I6 engine. 

Salesman was trying to explain the 2019 version of the Rav 4 with the 8 speed trans and allegedly a locking differential. 8.45" clearance.

Are you or anyone familiar with this NEW engine/drivetrain?

Who can afford a 2019 Rav 4?  While looking around-there are actually some buys around 20k which is my max.

SO if anyone is familiar with the 2019 engine (or lie) please chime in.

Dreaming the impossible? Probably. I do know that some of the early beach vehicles were not 4x4. I see these Subarus here & elsewhere. I've read many positives of Renegades.

If you would-please help an old guy to either see a possibility or put the dream out of its misery.

I felt compelled to ask.

Thanks

Africaster & Sea Robin--I was writing (slow typist) while you were posting.

Thanks for the replies.

Is their any truth to what I wrote regarding the new engine for 2019?

And so a positive on the Subarus never looked at one.

30 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

Africaster & Sea Robin--I was writing (slow typist) while you were posting.

Thanks for the replies.

Is their any truth to what I wrote regarding the new engine for 2019?

And so a positive on the Subarus never looked at one.

The one I bought was a 2012 Jeep liberty lease turn in. I love the truck, but like I said my first choice was a 4 Runner. But heading towards 70 years old and retired I couldn't justify the extra 2 to 3 grand. I love Toyo's. I had a 2004 Taco, it was great on the beach. Subies are good, but expensive to repair. Get what you can afford.But make it count. You want something that will last, don't cost a ton to maintain. Tight lines.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, hunter123 said:

The one I bought was a 2012 Jeep liberty lease turn in. I love the truck, but like I said my first choice was a 4 Runner. But heading towards 70 years old and retired I couldn't justify the extra 2 to 3 grand. I love Toyo's. I had a 2004 Taco, it was great on the beach. Subies are good, but expensive to repair. Get what you can afford.But make it count. You want something that will last, don't cost a ton to maintain. Tight lines.

Thanks Hunter.

Just turned 65 and I pay dearly with cramps after walking long distances in soft sand. I remember reading about your Liberty and it gave me hope after finding out what happened to Jeep after I had stopped paying attention.

I will still work as soon as permitted. No retirement for me. All the factors I mentioned will matter. Ideally- financing 10 would be ok. 20 WAYYY out there. BUT-if it was a possibility-2019 has great mileage and would be covered by a warranty for a while. IF it didn't work out (well all 3 actually) it holds resale value.

Make it count-yes exactly. Once I rule out the (possibility) of the  2019 Rav 4 VERSION. I will hopefully make the right choice.

Thanks for the input-everyone.

Further input on the 2019 Rav 4 VERSION (new engine /trans/alleged locking differential) and TRD model would be great.

Edited by Gatr522

14 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

Hi. For a while I had a 2000 Cherokee and I enjoyed driving the sand to fish. My permit was for Corsons-so I never really had to deal with much soft sand. After reading threads here I didn't even air down for that stretch in the final year or two. 

I thought i had narrowed it down to either a pre 2007 Wrangler or a 4 Runner-but the Rav 4 piqued my interest today. I did a search and there was not much info on the Rav 4 in the sand. I know it's not a 4x4. But I would like to get some feedback from this forum.

I will be driving in NJ and some of the beaches will have ruts & soft sand. Will a Rav 4 be sufficient? It will be my only vehicle and it would be great if the Camry 4 cylinder could pull it off.

Thanks for any input.

I have a 2013 Rav...I tried it..bad mistake.

39 mins ago, cashews121 said:

I have a 2013 Rav...I tried it..bad mistake.

Thanks. I'm inclined to agree at this point. Hopefully some one can chime in on the 2019 version.

Based on you various requirements I think a low mileage Forester pre CVT transmission series should be on your radar. 

1 hour ago, connman said:

Based on you various requirements I think a low mileage Forester pre CVT transmission series should be on your radar. 

Thanks connman. I'll look at those.

No doubt the types that would qualify for a daily beach machine are no brainers. I appreciate you reading my posts.

I'm not sure about the newer rav 4. Getting into those prices though don't discount the Nissans. The older Pathfinder, Frontiers, Xterras are all capable and priced right. Might save you money on the purchase to spend on fuel to get to the beach more often.

My brother had a honda crv. It did not like the sand. My wife had a Ford Escape.  It did not like the sand. Both similar vehicles to the Rav 4. We weren't noobs to the sand and aired down properly etc.  The wife currently has a gmc envoy. I put slightly larger tires on it and it does ok around 13-14 psi.

Most of the jeeps work well. Even the newer unibody ones. If you could find an older, say 1995 jeep cherokee for a couple thousand $$. Put a little money into it for reliability and you'd have a darn near perfect beach machine.

26 mins ago, Spazzoni said:

I'm not sure about the newer rav 4. Getting into those prices though don't discount the Nissans. The older Pathfinder, Frontiers, Xterras are all capable and priced right. Might save you money on the purchase to spend on fuel to get to the beach more often.

My brother had a honda crv. It did not like the sand. My wife had a Ford Escape.  It did not like the sand. Both similar vehicles to the Rav 4. We weren't noobs to the sand and aired down properly etc.  The wife currently has a gmc envoy. I put slightly larger tires on it and it does ok around 13-14 psi.

Most of the jeeps work well. Even the newer unibody ones. If you could find an older, say 1995 jeep cherokee for a couple thousand $$. Put a little money into it for reliability and you'd have a darn near perfect beach machine.

Never considered a Nissan. So they are true 4 wheel drive? 

I don't mind going for older models. I had a 2000 Cherokee and I loved that Jeep.

Everything I have read here & elsewhere pretty much slam-almost-every type of Jeep product after the demise of the 4.0 I6.  

As stated initially-I was shopping for 2006 Wranglers & older 4 Runners. Found some affordable with clean records & mileage between 71-90,000.

I need some advice on the 2019 Rav as it caught my attention and stuck there. Mileage is amazing-and its a Camry engine. Same as I have in my xB Scion. Great dependable engine. I have actually seen a few that I might be able to afford. So its important to me to know ASAP. The enticement of a car under warranty that is not old yet is a factor.

I appreciate your input.

If anyone wants to input on Nissans-that would be cool.