gimbap1707

Recommended fluke rigs other than bucktailing? (Boat)

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So my dad and I have a trip planned out near shinnecock (ocean) for fluke this week, and I was curious about some other fluke rigs. All I've ever fished is the traditional hook and sinker (ONLY when I absolutely cannot hold bottom), and bucktailing. I particularly don't like to bucktail when I need more than 3 ounces. I'm interested in learning and making some different styled rigs, if yall have any suggestions. I'm also asking because my dad often gets tired and restless trying to bucktail consistently. Would appreciate any help!

2 hours ago, Crackers said:

Popcorn rig. 

Two small bucktails or teaser on a hi lo type setup with your sinker at the bottom. 

You think having two spoons with a skirted teaser is overkill for my type of fishing? It seems to be popular out in nantucket and montauk- looks interesting and seems like it should target bigger fish but it is a lot of hardware. I will be on a party boat albeit with a passenger capacity. Just wondering if I should go the easier route with a generic teaser or try the spoons out. Also- could you briefly describe the jigging motion using a chicken rig? I’m sure its not as rapid as bucktailing 

2 hours ago, gimbap1707 said:

You think having two spoons with a skirted teaser is overkill for my type of fishing? It seems to be popular out in nantucket and montauk- looks interesting and seems like it should target bigger fish but it is a lot of hardware. I will be on a party boat albeit with a passenger capacity. Just wondering if I should go the easier route with a generic teaser or try the spoons out. Also- could you briefly describe the jigging motion using a chicken rig? I’m sure its not as rapid as bucktailing 

It really depends. I am not super familiar with the spoon rigs so I dont want to mislead you. The thing about using a high low rig is you can really experiment with the teasers you use. I have used flies/b2 squids/shrimp teasers and small bucktails in the 1/4 ounce range also. I would say play around with the jiggin motion no set way.

Have you ever tried the rigs with a teaser and spinner? They're usually made with bucktail hair tied on a slider sleeve, a few beads and a spinner blade on a clevise, all on a leader and often a kahle style hook. With them, you can add baits if desired, and they can also be used with a hi lo spreader or with a fish finder. Then you only deal with the one sinker and not with multiple bucktail jigs.

I have also seen them with a plastic squid instead of the bucktail. 

On 6/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, Crackers said:

Popcorn rig. 

Two small bucktails or teaser on a hi lo type setup with your sinker at the bottom. 

Just curious, Are you putting strip baits/spearing on there or gulp

thanks

On 6/6/2020 at 11:50 PM, gimbap1707 said:

So my dad and I have a trip planned out near shinnecock (ocean) for fluke this week, and I was curious about some other fluke rigs. All I've ever fished is the traditional hook and sinker (ONLY when I absolutely cannot hold bottom), and bucktailing. I particularly don't like to bucktail when I need more than 3 ounces. I'm interested in learning and making some different styled rigs, if yall have any suggestions. I'm also asking because my dad often gets tired and restless trying to bucktail consistently. Would appreciate any help!

Old post from last month, but sometimes the best thing to do is ask the captain ahead of time if any rigs are available for purchase during the trip. Depending on where you’re fishing, it will dictate what type of rig to use. For example if you’re in the bay compared to the ocean in shinnecock, you will use completely different rigs. They will usually have a really good feel on what color and type is working the best.