Mike Oliver

BS Rods

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Two days ago I was handed a rod a 9 foot 7 wt to help a brand new guy with his casting as in one hour we were going lake fishing.

I did not look to see who the maker was. What was interesting was that I did not notice the rod. Always a good sign. After the casting I asked my friend who had given the rod for the lesson who had made it. He smiled and said Shakespeare and it cost him all of 20 quid that’s about $27 in your money.

That made me smile a lot more. It cast as well as any of my very high end rods. 
It’s fantastic that you can find good rods for very small money.

Not saying the high end wallet crippling rods are not worth it or very nice to own and fish with. I am a rod junky and have too many Sage and CTS rods in my possession.

Lately though I am finding that it’s possible to buy incredibly cheap rods that perform and feel nice and also mid price like some of the Daiwa’s that come in at about $300.

I guess the message is that you don’t have to feel disadvantaged in performance terms with many of today’s rods which do not cost a small fortune.

That makes me really smile.

Mike

Totally agree! Today I took out an 8 weight I just finished building. It's the second (brandless) blank I've gotten from this person, both $50 each. I've been really surprised at the quality of these rods, even compared to rods I have that are just a couple years old. I guess it's the technology curve. I got a 9' 7 weight as a "recognize" gift from my company, some type of Bass Pro rod I think. It casts very nicely but after 2 years where the price shows up is in the reel seat and cork. I think I've built 6 rods that were all under $150 and all but one worked out real well. Not $27 but still not expensive at all. So I can continue to pay college tuition and still fish haha

i got a new old stock shakespeare 8 wt. still in the plastic for $40 nice olive green 2 pc.

one of 4 rods I did not build myself(out of 24+/-). casts great and is a rare find 

I would not want to be in the rod business. As the saying goes"you sell a guy a rod and you don't hear from him until he breaks the rod."

Have you noticed each year all the rod companies come out with the latest and must have new rod.

FishHawk

Love my $30 Eagle Claw fiberglass 4wt and $8 MIJ Medalist knockoff. Epoxied the guides back on same day I bought it. 

That being said as a wood worker I often have to battle with Ikea and the likes. Ikea perfectly serves a purpose. Affordable and you can have it same day. Anyone who has ever moved Ikea furniture can probably attest that it doesn't age well. I know mine hasn't.

Assuming you can afford it you just have to ask yourself, do you want something that will last a lifetime? Do you like heirlooms and the idea of passing something down? 

Not even to mention who you're giving your money to. I hope to see a lot more companies under the 1% for the planet banner. I know this thread isn't about that but it all kinda goes hand in hand. 

I love that the cheap stuff is out there though, for the sake of getting a more diverse demographic into the sport. 

Chuck

Most fly blanks and rods come from the Far East. Few rod companies left now in the west. You have the majority of them in the USA I think.

I like the idea of handing down quality gear. Rods tend to age most of them but not all. I went out today and my much loved Z Axis got an outing before being put back into the trunk. It felt heavy and clumsy compared to a new rod costing one third of the price. The Z will get saved for light salt and Steelheads. It’s very tough and strong. I do have rods over 23 years old which are still relevant.

I strongly agree with you about accessibility for all made possible by good cheap gear. That’s a good thing. When I started It was more expensive than today. You really had to want to fly fish if you had empty pockets fifty years ago.

Mike

Maybe, just maybe, the high end rod makers will get wind of this trend and at least upgrade to better cork and something other than chrome plated wire for guides!

I guess they are caught in a left stick. Wanting to protect their high priced brand  image but also wanting a piece of the low to middle price market.

The get around is to set up another company or become partners in an existing one.

The abandonment of snakes is not goi g to happen in my life time by the main stream rod companies. It is not in their financial interests. I have a rough handle on what they pay for them and it’s not a lot.

It is the custom shops that fit ceramics in the main.

Some makers are taking a step closer in that they are fitting single leg wire guides

My Daiwa has these and full credit to them in large enough sizes to to aid good line flow.

Hows your fishing surfrat. I am missing Montauk well how Montauk used to be before the Hipsters came along. They don’t belong there.

Mike

This thread inspired me to order a CGR 7/8 from Cabela's. That and the fact that I broke the tip off my Echo last night :-(

Lesson: don't be lazy. Left the rod rigged up so I could get back out in the morning easy peasy. Fly came outta the cork and out the car door. Couple miles down the road *SNAP* :-((( Rajeff makes it pretty easy to get a new tip fortunately. $20. No sweat. Add that to the list of return on investment, and Echo isn't even high end. Doubt I will be getting a replacement tip for my CGR. 

Been getting a lot of fluke lately so this 7/8wt glass should be fun :-))) Hopefully it will throw a 9wt line cause thats all I got. 

On 6/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, Linesidesonthefly said:

Reddington Classic Trout and LL Bean pocket water rods fit the bill. 

The Classic Trout is an oddly good rod for the price. 

The Fenwick line that Pure brought back, decent rods and a bargain when you can find them on sale. I bought a couple of the 9' 5wt a couple years back and they still cast well for the price. Not a Radian nor a NRX LP or Zenith, but a fraction of the cost. When you don't need to reach out 70 feet, more than adequate. 

On 6/9/2020 at 5:55 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Hows your fishing surfrat. I am missing Montauk well how Montauk used to be before the Hipsters came along. They don’t belong there.

Mike

Montauk and all of us who enjoyed your company miss you too Mike. With the current health crisis been fishing local waters, no Montauk yet this season. Fish are showing in decent numbers north and south shore, bluefish too, which have been absent for a few seasons...I love big blues on the fly. You're right about the hipsters, I'm no marine biologist but I swear something in their cologne or bodywash is polluting the waters out east, keeping the sandeels and rain bait far offshore!:laugh:

There are a lot of good rods out there.  I just bought a couple of TFO's new Axiom II-x rods, cast them on the lawn and I'm blown away by how well they cast.  Within 10 minutes I was laying out the entire length of the floating line on my lawn on a 9 wt and an 11 wt.  They remind me a bit of the Redington Nano Ti rods (from what I can remember of them, that was a while ago) in action and that's a good thing.  I'll be in Florida for a couple of weeks to fish and relax, hoping to put the new A2-x rods through their paces while I'm down there.  Hopefully a decent trip report when I get back (not much guided trips for me this time as tarpon season is over and I'm not going to blow that much money if there aren't a lot of poons around...).