Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rough

The Militarizaton of Law Enforcement

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1. In the 1950s, Dwight Eisenhower famously warned about the dangers of the Military Industrial Complex. Unfortunately, it has become today so powerful and influential that it is literally impossible overestimate its impact on both internal and external politics. This is not just about the Cold War, but all kinds of real and invented enemies, all kinds of interventions and the way these are conducted. Given the political influence of the Military Industrial Complex, its incessant need to unload already produced equipment and make room for new contracts and new equipment has had a disastrous impact on US policy formation. Remember that after the first Gulf War and the unexpected quick surrender of Iraq, billions worth of ammunition, rockets and other military stuff were just destroyed by being shot into the empty desert! Remember the recent ‘negotiations’ about denuclearization of North Korea? The stocks of defense related corporations such as Lockheed Martin tumbled during that time. The imbecile suddenly walked away from the talks. Stocks rebounded. The same had happened earlier during negotiations with Iran, and so on and so forth. I hope you understand the dynamics. 

2. Overtime, the Military Industrial Complex developed business relationships with internal law enforcement agencies to which it sells billions of worth in equipment every year. The cementing of these relationships gave rise to, and is fostered by, a novel conglomerate of interests, the phenomenon of the Police Industrial Complex. Don’t forget that this is a relationship between publicly funded law enforcement agencies (often mediated by retired police officers associations etc.) and a wide range of for-profit corporations. Result number one of such partnership is the militarization internal law enforcement. But cities are not battlefields. You can’t say that even when looking at the clashes with police during the recent protests. Military equipment is produced for real war and is neither needed nor fit to handle any kind of city riots during peace time. Result number two are those overequipped, scary looking, and provoking more negative reactions police forces. At times, they look more like an occupying force rather than citizens assigned the job of protecting us. And all kinds of protests end up being handled in more powerful, abusive, oppressive, and crude ways. Nothing good can come out of this, as you understand.  Result number three: the concept of policing itself and our priorities for justice are being impacted and reshaped overtime. And this is dangerous stuff, really. 

3. Both Democratic and Republican administrations are guilty of bending to private interests and allowing these phenomena grow out of control. The Democrats are of course more covert (due to internal pressure) while Republicans are more cynical. It has been said many times that both major parties are in the pockets of corporations. What you don’t know is that the Prince of Darkness who came from the outside of the political landscape and fooled you that he would drain the swamp, is a champion in serving those same corporate interests! Don’t think that the extravagant funding of the military in his budget is just “patriotism” or that his walking away from international nonproliferation treaties is “America first” philosophy. These are just propaganda tricks to sell you on those policies. We already have enough fire power to obliterate anyone anywhere on the planet multiple times over. Nobody doubts that.

4. Eisenhower’s prophetic words.

Edited by Rough

11 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Is there a question for us to discuss, cause I'm not reading all that unless there is a question to discuss.

I'm not big on militarized  Police forces, as a general rule.

i think the op wants to argue the topic

im guessing I’m not reading all that either though 

6 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

I'm not big on militarized  Police forces, as a general rule.

The North Hollywood bank hold up is an eye opener. There are more examples that can make you think hard about that. 

Total outlier.  

I'm not comfortable with a militarized police.  

I remember during the Furgeson Riots, when Obama was President, a photo of all the cop's military vehicles lined up, ready to rumble.  

Always remember to be careful for what you wish for...you just might get it.

6 mins ago, charloots said:

The North Hollywood bank hold up is an eye opener. There are more examples that can make you think hard about that. 

I live in Mayberry, my local department doesn’t need a tank 

simplistic response I realize, but  I grabbed my broad brush today

Just now, RiverRaider said:

Same same.  Yet, we've got the gear.  I don't know about tracked vehicles, but Humvee's with mounts for the big automatic guns with the baby killing laser guided missile bullets.

Very scary.

5 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Total outlier.  

I'm not comfortable with a militarized police.  

I remember during the Furgeson Riots, when Obama was President, a photo of all the cop's military vehicles lined up, ready to rumble.  

Always remember to be careful for what you wish for...you just might get it.

I distinctly remember one of my first posts  in a thread about Ferguson following those same lines, the police response there set the tone imho 

Just now, RiverRaider said:

Exactly. Different circumstances. Officer Joe Bolton, his billy club and a .38 are no match for anything serious.

Seems like some of you want to send this guy:

Historic portrait of policeman blowing a whistle, 1950-60's Stock ...

To deal with these guys:

Donald Trump threatens to send in troops amid Minneapolis riots ...

Are you really that stupid?