Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jcb3030

Coast Guard suspends search for missing N.J. man who fell off kayak

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sad news:

(*From NJ dot com)

The U.S. Coast Guard on Friday suspended its search for a 61-year-old man who went missing after falling off a kayak while late night fishing in Monmouth County.

Two Burlington County men were fishing on the Navesink River in Rumson about 11 p.m. Thursday when rough weather toppled the vessel, throwing both men into the water, authorities said.

“A severe weather system caused the men’s kayak to flip over. One man was able to swim to shore,” the Rumson First Aid Squad posted on its Facebook page.

The coast guard, along with the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office dive team, New Jersey State Police aviation squad and local first-responders searched the waters for several hours on Friday before calling off the search due to rough seas.

The coast guard tweeted the search was called off “pending further information.” The man’s name has not been released.

“Remember to always familiarize yourself with the environmental conditions, always wear a life jacket and never go out on the water without telling anyone,” the first aid squad said, adding that their “prayers and well wishes are with (the missing man’s) family.”

Edited by TimS
added text, removed link

My wife told me about this a few minutes ago. Apparently kayaking at midnight with no PFD. Tony Caputo from News 12 tweeted the name of the missing kayaker. 

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

Apparently kayaking at midnight with no PFD.

That is hard to believe and yet it isn’t. A lot of people affected by his poor decision. Sad.

Very sad.

PFD PFD PFD PFD PFD!

VHF radio with weatheband!

Get the MMSI number for brainless "Big Red Button" Mayday signal broadcast.

Nobody says...." Well...today is the day I shall capsize.... I'll just play it by ear and hope for the best".

Make all the precautions ahead of time and keep doing them every trip. Do it for your family.