JimKu

Artificials for tog and scup

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I know bait is probably best bet but is there any artificials that will work? I was thinking about carrying the option in my bag if the bass and blues are not cooperating. Maybe put on an artificial and try for scup or tog. 

I'm shore fishing only. 

Ive caught some scup on small curly tail jigs. 

19 mins ago, JimKu said:

I know bait is probably best bet but is there any artificials that will work? I was thinking about carrying the option in my bag if the bass and blues are not cooperating. Maybe put on an artificial and try for scup or tog. 

I'm shore fishing only. 

Ive caught some scup on small curly tail jigs. 

Scup without a doubt will hit artificial’s. But I’m still skeptical about blackfish and artificial’s I know they will hit a crab fly.

Scup hit everything but you have to account for their small mouths. Small tubes, and jigs have caught a lot of scup for me. I also get them on the fly once in a while. 

I have also taken tog on jigs and soft plastics but I consider those an anomaly.  

I’ve used gulp shrimp for for tog and scup many times. Tog jig, hi-lo rig....doesn’t seem to matter. However, it does work better if you can get the fish fired up on bait or chum before you put the gulp in front of them. It works. It just take a bit of patience to get the bite going with artificials. But once you get a bite or two, it works just as good as bait from my experience. 

The 2" gulp never leaves my bag. Stick it on a hook and you can always catch something with it, scup has small mouth so you need to Target some bigger ones. Going to be hard to jig around the rocks by the rocks, but there are crab gulps.

I've caught tog on deadly dicks while jigging for seabass. I thought it was a one off thing, but I caught a few of them that way on the same day.

20190917_163324.jpg

I picked up some 2in GULP sandworms just for scup. 

Friend of mine uses them successfully on perch out in Cali. 

Fishes them on a HL rig, but works them up and down a little. 

Also have little bucktails too. 

4 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

Caught a real hubcap of a porgy a few years back while trolling a T-Man tube and worm for bass off CT.

I also caught a bruiser of a porgy on a tube and worm (off of the vinyard), probably the biggest one I ever saw.

I’ve gotten blackfish and porgies on a small Hogy Epoxy Jig. I sso got sea robins, 2 keeper Black Sea bass and a bonito on the same jig that day in my kayak.

One thing about tog,and scup is that they both will take artificials. The diamond jig shown above natural with the chrome finish and repainted yellow or florescent green have always produced some nice fish . Leave them normal , until the chrome peels of or wears off , scuff up the jig, use a good primer and spray paint at least two coats with a nice tied single hook with hair attached with a split ring Good luck 

You can usually catch scup on gulp or soft plastic but some days they only want meat (squid or sand worms). Blackfish are pretty tough to get on artificial. I’ve tried many times with gulp crabs and savage gear crabs with poor results. Now if I don’t have live crabs then I won’t even bother trying to blackfish. 

Jigging scup is by far my favorite way to fish for them.  Any kind of diamond shaped jig with a small treble on it will do the trick, they’ll hit jigs 5” long no problem.  Keeping them on the hook is the tricky and really fun part.  They’re great at throwing jigs, not sure how or why but the hookup to landing ratio is always surprisingly low.  Fish with a light rod with a 1-3000 sized reel and a half oz jig, you’ll have some fun. 

Tog I’ve never caught without a jig being ripped with bait, but from what others have said it’s possible, without some experience it may not be probable.