Minero

What rods for saltwater, Mazatlan and South Padre Island

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

Looking for advice on what rods to go for, I go to Mazatlan about 3 to 4 times a year, and looking to start going to South Padre Island.
Thinking of the 8wt & 10wt and not a big budget, I already have a 12wt a Colton Levitan XS.
Rods was thinking are the echo boost saltwater, echo Ion XL, Orvis new Clearwater or Douglas LRS. these are in the same price point.
And they have great warranty.
I have no way of going to a shop, so always buy on line. So this is why I come to you guys if you can help me with some advice on these three rods.
I have no problem with medium fast and fast rods. weight is not that too big of a problem but as always less is better, I know can´t ask for a featherweight as I am on that budget and saltwater rod hunting.

Hope you guys can help me. any input will be greatly appreciated.
And sorry for my spelling as I am from Mexico.

Cheers

Minero

I was a big fan of the Orvis Clearwater series, even before they redesigned them.  I haven't casted the new ones, but I am told they're great.  I don't think they're particularly fast-action.  I know many are a big fan of the TFO BVK - which should be in your price point.

Also, I am a big fan of used rods.  You can find good deals on primo rods - here  in the BST section and on the auction sites.

If you like your Colton, the Tradewinds XS series are great and pretty affordable.  

I have the Echo Ion XL and like it.  TFO's are also good and warranty is awesome.

JCH,

Thank you for your reply.

That is what I have read, that the new Clearwater were even better, and a tad faster on those weights. but as always reviews are biased.

I truly trust you guys way more than people that get paid or have some type of deal with the manufacturer.

The TFO BVK no longer makes the 10wt.  And in the 8 wt skeptical about brakeage.

and used rods don't have the cash, will be doing a trade up program.

Cheers

Minero

PSUFly,

Thank you very much for your comment.
would love to buy a Colton Tradewind XS lost my 9wt :(, it did excellent on the dorados, and some bonita at Mazatlan.
 If he had a trade up program, I would more than happy trade the rods with him and get two tradewinds XS one in 9 & 10wt and a Terrapin 10-12. 
The problem that I have is that for me to sell my fly rods is that I am in México and to offer them in the classifieds, would require to be able to ship and receive payment, and from México it's too expensive to ship and receive a wire transfer.
So I will be sending five rods to a supplier in the US to their trade up program to buy the rods that I need, too bad can't get Colton this way.

Cheers

Minero

I have a TFO BVK in 7 wt and 9 wt.  Both great rods for the money with great warantees.  Also checkout the TFO mangrove.  They probably have that in a 10 wt.