Beachorbust

Is there a stock hook size chart somewhere on here?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I am replacing hooks on plugs and I am finding some plugs don't swim the way I want them to.  I was wondering if there was a chart that is (or was) maintained that shows the stock hooks that come with common plugs?

Anything out there?

1 hour ago, kombi_rs said:

I usually resort to manufacture sites or some online tackle shops will mention the hook sizes 

For many lures this will be the best you'll find.

VMC has been a major hook supplier for many of the mass produced lures, and they used to have a chart that listed hook sizes & models for lures from manufacturers for which they supplied hooks, but I haven't seen it in a few years. Perhaps they still do. It wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask. 

For wooden surf plugs from custom makers, if they're still making them, best to contact them and ask. If no longer being produced, maybe someone here would know about specific plug makes & types. . 

Otherwise, it's a trial & error endeavor. 

I would love if the industry had a uniform size standard across manufactures. I have never found one. I hope your search finds something or the forum can help us both.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is not a maintained hook size chart that I’ve ever seen.  

Most everyone who replaces stock hooks is customizing the setup to suit there specific needs.  

There is no right answer.  The people who make the plug will also change the “stock” hook setup from time to time.  For example Super Strike darters not very long ago came with a set of (inferior) cut Mustad trebles.  Then they went to split rings and VMC trebles.  Now if you look it up they sport split rings with a VMC treble and undressed siwash hook in the back.  Some guys swear by a certain hook setup but in my opinion it is mostly because in the conditions they fish they have found the best way to rig it.

Usually if the plug is new to me I will test it stock.  Then figure out how I want to fit it into my conditions.  Then I will change the hardware to my liking and test it, usually in daylight.  Then I will further fish test it (at night).  And adjust from there.

Edited by RocksMeEasy

8 hours ago, Get_Reelz said:

I would love if the industry had a uniform size standard across manufactures. I have never found one. I hope your search finds something or the forum can help us both.

There is none and probably never will be.  Even in a manufacturer's product line from one type to another there isn't any size standardizations.

Here's a chart I used to do strength tests on jig hooks.  It's not extensive but it does show how there's no size standards from one manufacturer to another and even in different product lines from the same manufacturer.

IMG_3294.jpg.59d32deb39273029187d1cfa75f6ca7e.jpg

Edited by Dan Tinman

2 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

There is none and probably never will be.  Even in a manufacturer's product line from one type to another there isn't any size standardizations.

Here's a chart I used to do strength tests on jig hooks.  It's not extensive but it does show how there's no size standards from one manufacturer to another and even in different product lines from the same manufacturer.

IMG_3294.jpg.59d32deb39273029187d1cfa75f6ca7e.jpg

Agreed. On all accounts. I've looked at many manufactures measurements and printed charts ad nauseum. I've never found a correlation across brands, nor with in a brands line up. There are so many variables.

My only suggestion is to keep a log or notebook and record what you end up using. That way you aren't going through the same exercise every time you need to change hooks. I have a running list of about 15 plugs with hook sizes that work for me. I found that Skinner has some good advice in one of his books (can't remember if it's fishing the buck tail or striper pursuit) and covers a few classics (bombers, redfins, etc....)

8 hours ago, Cuttyhunker said:

Awesome! :theman:

That's what I had mentioned! As I said, had not seen it in a few years. They used to have it on their website, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place! 

I forgot where from or when I archived it, but knew it was a keeper.  As a kid it was the opposite, less hooks, we trashed the tail hooks on the Junior Atoms when we made them into skin plugs

Edited by Cuttyhunker