DeepBlue85

Penn 980 reel maintenance

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I recently procured a nib 980 which I'd like to keep as such.  I found a well used one which I received and it is surely well used.  The reel dosnt seem to have ever been opened, original dried up grease with grooved an worn parts, nothing that disrupts proper function with the exception of the spool. 

The spool is loose and has lateral play side to side unless the bearing assembly is completly tightened.  The spool tension knob is also inconsistent as its adjusted as well.   Iv ordered a new full left and right bearing assembly from mystic but my question is this.  On the parts list a 57-109 pressure plug spring is listed as a part however on the schematic theres no sign of it.  I'm not entirely familure with reel mechanics so I'm unsure if this is the part responsible for the excessive play on the old reel and weather its embedded in the factory available tension knob with bearing assembly (part 40) or if its additional.  

If it's not the pressure plug spring, is there a chance it could be the spool shaft ?

Apologies if I sound convoluted, any info is welcome

Regards

Edited by DeepBlue85

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah there it is..... I think mine had been compressed for years rendering it useless in it's purpose.   Thanks for posting that. 

Edited by DeepBlue85