Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a question for some of you guys that build rods for distance casting competition or just building a long casting rod. Do you think a carbon fiber tube handle which has about zero flex will cost a caster distance rather than a cork or tape handle that allows the rod to flex some in the butt section?   

Tube grips are very popular on the westside of the US, comes out of sandspikes, and rod holders beautifully and stays good looking, I use it on my rods and have not noticed any difference, they seem to get to the same water as my buddy's rods, but I have never done any measuring to compare. I make EVA arbors for the ends of my foregrips to remove much of the blocky look.

A rod for actual competition casting, would have a butt dia of about 22mm (.875") or more, not much need for anything more than shrink tube, a bit of Winn wrap or indeed nothing.

Smaller dia blanks, I reckon it wouldn't hurt.

I use composite materials for handles. It's definitely a trade off. If I used flor cork for everything, the handle would be the most expensive part of the build for many of my rods. I use cork tape or split grips for the rods you're talking about.

For me, this trade off is most evident on deep flexing fly rods. If I were able to find good cheap cork, I would likely use more of it. When a buddy shows me his new expensive factory rod, the first thing I notice is the inferior quality of the handle's cork. The next thing is the inferior thread and epoxy workmanship.

Anyone had a rod break right at the top of their composite handle?

No, I had great results and reliability with composite grips over the last 15+ years. Especially like them on kayak rods where everything has to come out of your rod holders in front of you, or out of your rocket launchers behind you smoothly, with minimal interference.

Ok thanks -----I have three rods I use for stripe fishing from shore that have carbon fiber tubing handles . A couple built on rainshadow blanks and one on a 1/2-2 oz cabelas fisheagle  blank . I mostly throw light weights from 3/8 to maybe an ounce so I fish with relatively flexable rods anyway but i was curious about information from people that have built a few more rods than me. Thanks to everyone for resp0onding