Joe_Camarda

Softer strikes/hits

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Out fishing lastnight did pretty decent. The fish weren't smashing the plugs like usual. Almost like they where just touching it. Hooked up a couple times good hook set fish screamed drag and then ide loose it. Any ideas what was going on?!

1 hour ago, Joe_Camarda said:

Out fishing lastnight did pretty decent. The fish weren't smashing the plugs like usual. Almost like they where just touching it. Hooked up a couple times good hook set fish screamed drag and then ide loose it. Any ideas what was going on?!

perhaps they had a good feed for a while previously.

I have seen them do that after feeding good for a few days with bait all around them then they back off.

HH

Sometimes they just nippy . I’ve had days where even large bass just barely hitting the plug .. just do your best for a solid hookup and don’t be afraid to really crank on them till ya good and tight . Sometimes ya just hook them thin and pull hooks .. all part of the experience Russ 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sometimes bass like to head strike or tail slap the lures in an attempt to stun its prey resulting in a foul hooked fish that often times pulls the hook. When this happens at night, I switch to a smaller profile bait and slow down my presentation and fish on! 

Edited by Striper Samurai

8 hours ago, Rockthebay1 said:

??dull hooks

small fish

? blues can grab and let go too.

Change my hooks regularly. Smaller fish where destroying the plugs 

I had a day like the last year. All short taps. Slowed down and two keepers back to back after. 15#+ and 30#+ then dead the rest of the night lmao

had a night like that a few weeks ago, i put on a small sandeel teaser ahead of the plug and the fish started to commit. ended up getting 9 in an hour with no more short strikes.

13 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

I had a day like the last year. All short taps. Slowed down and two keepers back to back after. 15#+ and 30#+ then dead the rest of the night lmao

13 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Spot on, almost identical So strange. Yelling  at the fish all night to hit it hahaha 

I had a night last week, 7 hits, 7 hookups, 7 landed. Next night same place, same conditions, same lure, 10 hits, 0 hookups. #@it Happens.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:21 PM, Striper Samurai said:

Sometimes bass like to head strike or tail slap the lures in an attempt to stun its prey resulting in a foul hooked fish that often times pulls the hook. When this happens at night, I switch to a smaller profile bait and slow down my presentation and fish on! 

Here we go - the tail slapping head butting striped bass.

This is not true BTW They are likely missing or turning away at the last minute because they sense something is not right.  If a bass want to eat it does so through vacuuming the prey in its mouth.  Bass DO NOT go around tail slapping prey like a thresher shark 

Myth busted! 

Short strikes and light taps are not always the sign of a tail-hitting aggressive schoolie. Some tend to automatically assume this is the case but I have seen that is not the case way too many times over the years. The pattern is usually the same. the more light taps or uncommitted hits you get the more frustrated you become and the more likely you are to continue not catching fish on the same unproductive plug. The natural tendency many have is to stick it out using the reasoning that any type of response by the fish is an indicator they are doing something right and they will hook "the next one". However more than a few times the answer has been to change the plug to a radically different color or action as the one that has gotten you nowhere up until that point. Counter-intuitive to many but after spending many hours myself trying to jam something down a fish's throat I finally clued in and learned a hard taught lesson. The light taps are an elevated response by the fish to what I called a 
pre-hit", a phenomenon I also experienced many times when you all of a sudden feel your plug "tumble" uncontrollably for a millisecond or so but never feel any direct light tap or hit. I believe that "tumble"  to be the result of a fish veering away from the plug at the last second without any actual physical contact and the turbulence created while doing so is the "tumble" I felt while doing so.  I eventually learned to immediately speed up my retrieve after a "tumble" and often was rewarded with a committed strike within seconds. Taps and tumbles are often something other than rats.