Thumb-Burner

Who REALLY uses baitrunner feature from beach?

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

I've spent this week fishing 2-4 rods in spikes from beach.  i always loosen drag when i setup to keep from losing a rod but then always have to fiddle with drag when winding in, casting and fighting fish.

seriously considering one or two for the portfolio.

1) do you enjoy the feature?

2) can the baitrunner feature be deployed at at stout enough drag that fish can hook himself or only super light setting?

3) what baitrunners do you recommend say under 125 bucks?

thanks as always

yeah the future is great from Beach or boats doesn't matter

As far as the settings go on the Shimano thunnus which is my favorite baitrunner you click the Switch down to put it in baitrunner mode and then there is a little knob on the bottom that you can adjust too tight or loose. If I get a big zip on the line I'll pick up the rod and tilted towards the fish and once the fish starts running with the bait I will start reeling and quickly and pull up on the rod and Bam you're in.

the best baitrunner you can probably buy is the Shimano thunnus ci4. I tried a handful and that's my favorite lightweight smooth....

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

I've spent this week fishing 2-4 rods in spikes from beach.  i always loosen drag when i setup to keep from losing a rod but then always have to fiddle with drag when winding in, casting and fighting fish.

Yes.

2) can the baitrunner feature be deployed at at stout enough drag that fish can hook himself or only super light setting?

Both. You can set it light enough to birdsnest and heavy enough to lose your rig on most models.

thanks as always

Okuma, Tica. I have a good deal of experience with the former. Looks like the Epixor line is gone for some reason, they were tanks. Maybe they've bumped up the Coronado, which used to be a step down. $109 for 290 yards of 50lb braid capacity. Probably overkill almost everywhere. Also have a pair of long since discontinued bottom shelf models that won't quit.

1 min ago, ermghoti said:

Yes.

Both. You can set it light enough to birdsnest and heavy enough to lose your rig on most models.

Okuma, Tica. I have a good deal of experience with the former. Looks like the Epixor line is gone for some reason, they were tanks. Maybe they've bumped up the Coronado, which used to be a step down. $109 for 290 yards of 50lb braid capacity. Probably overkill almost everywhere. Also have a pair of long since discontinued bottom shelf models that won't quit.

I've been quite impressed with my okuma ceymar and see they have a baitfeeder model.  may start there.  THANKS

37 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Yes.

Okuma Epixor +1 love it. Was butter smooth if you kept it out of the sand. Penn reels are good for the price. Never tried their bait runners but must be enough reviews to form an opinion.

Is this really a question?  The options for me would be to spike 4 rods with mono, circle hooks and no baitrunner or spike 4 rods with baitrunners... Forget the $125 x 4...   Invest in one at a time until you get 4 good reels that will last you a lifetime

Shimano Thunnus #1 followed shortly by BR 12000D or BR 6000B

A crazy wise man once taught me to only use one rod and NEVER spike it. Hasn't let me down and you always know when you have a taker no matter how subtle the bite... Although if it is very slow I will still occasionally spike it LOL 

Peace

-Erik

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

thanks as always

#1 YES!

#2 YES,I use circle hooks exclusively and the weight of a 3-4 oz Storm sinker is enough to set the hook in the tinniest catfish to a 30 lb Drum.

#3 Shimano Baitrunner 6-8K model OC or D.

The OC is about $129 but I bought from my local B&T for 25% off. My D came from another local B&T for 50% off (floor model).By the way,I believe the internals are the same on the OC & D.

Some folks say dealers can't discount Shimano but that is not true at all. They may not be able to advertise current models but they sure as hell can discount them.

I recently bought a Stradic FL for 35% off with stacked discounts at a MAJOR big box dealer.

I'm to damn old to be chasing expensive gear into the wash.I love them.:howdy:

Edited by olvart

11 mins ago, ErikT said:

Is this really a question?  The options for me would be to spike 4 rods with mono, circle hooks and no baitrunner or spike 4 rods with baitrunners... Forget the $125 x 4...   Invest in one at a time until you get 4 good reels that will last you a lifetime

Shimano Thunnus #1 followed shortly by BR 12000D or BR 6000B

A crazy wise man once taught me to only use one rod and NEVER spike it. Hasn't let me down and you always know when you have a taker no matter how subtle the bite... Although if it is very slow I will still occasionally spike it LOL 

Peace

-Erik

hard for me to justify spending that muvh when i only get to go about three times a year

Shimano B series.  Put up a WTB on the BST forum.  For your occasional use the OC or D would be ok but the B series is mo bettah in my opinion.  Not as refined but a tank.

4 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Shimano B series.  Put up a WTB on the BST forum.  For your occasional use the OC or D would be ok but the B series is mo bettah in my opinion.  Not as refined but a tank.

The B's are tanks but My OC & D are 3 years old and I fish them 125+ days a year.

Had 1 replaced by Shimano but they are as nice as new with very little maintenance.

10 mins ago, olvart said:

The B's are tanks but My OC & D are 3 years old and I fish them 125+ days a year.

Had 1 replaced by Shimano but they are as nice as new with very little maintenance.

whats difference in OC and D?  do they have a taller spool than the old ones?

Posted (edited) · Report post

OC and D are the current Shimano Baitrunners. Both are the same internally with the possible exception of drag material. I replaced my OC felt drags with Smooth Drag carbon for $10.

Don't remember if I did for the D.

The previous model was the Baitrunner B and it is a beast,very HD. But,not sure if u can get parts anymore in typical Shimano BS.

Not sure of the spool specs but would think they are similar to current models.

The Thunnus is cream of the crop but out of my price range.

Edited by olvart

Are there any disadvantages to using a BR while lure fishing? Obviously you wouldn't use it, I'm just looking at a SSV LL 2500 for general lure fishing but also some light bait stuff. 

1 min ago, coastalfreak said:

Are there any disadvantages to using a BR while lure fishing? Obviously you wouldn't use it, I'm just looking at a SSV LL 2500 for general lure fishing but also some light bait stuff. 

Just don't use the baitrunner feature. It will fish just like any spinner.

4 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

No.    I use a Shimano 4000D on an 8 foot for croaker kingfish.  Summer panfish stuff.  Change from lure to bait rig if I want to spike it for a bit.