t_man7

System 3 HELP

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I’ve tried system 3 clearcoat to no avail, The clear coat ended up being very bumpy.

Here was my process

2-1 Ratio

Mix for 5 Minutes scraping the sides as well as the mixing stick.

use brush to apply to lure

flip until the epoxy and support its self.

Nothing was applied to the lure after paint, it was straight createx.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

-Thanks Tommy

Haha. Nope. It happens. If I had to guess I’d say maybe not a perfect ratio or maybe temp was not perfect but it has happened to me  a bunch of times over the years and always a head scratcher.  First coat with this is usually crappy. 2nd coat should be great. I lightly sand any imperfections after first coat next day and wipe with isopropyl alcohol gently then do second coat. I Like to do 2nd coat 24 hours later. I would mix 3 min max and slowly with a round mixer. . I put it right over heat set with a hair dryer a few days later after painting. Don’t touch them after painting. Pearls will be more of an issue.  I spin mine not flip but that is not the issue. Guys do it. Just fish the lumpy ones. Fish don’t care and it will still be very durable. Epoxy issues  suck but part of the game. Paul . . 

T_man7, You are not alone I recently tried the System 3 clear coat and it introduced me to a whole new world of epoxy problems.  I've been build my own rods since the 80s and have about 10 years into low volume plug building so I'm not a stranger to working with epoxies. I measure with syringes and mix well.  I used the System 3 for sealing the plugs as well, it soaks into the wood real well and hardens up like a rock, seems much harder than E-tex.  As a top coat its another ball game, after my first batch disaster I needed 3 coats just to make sure there were no dry spots, it seemed like the epoxy did not want to to adhere to a painted surface at all and had zero self leveling properties. Basement temp was about 60 so I think that was a big part of the problem. Second attempt worked out better with a light bulb under the spinner for a warmer environment, still didn't have complete coverage on first coat, second coat still uneven but complete coverage.  All the lures are fishable but not something I would show off.  Next try I will use lower watt light bulb and let the second coat sit for about 15 minutes before applying to lure to hopefully not move around so much and give me a smoother top coat.  Good Luck

11 mins ago, TKSurf said:

T_man7, You are not alone I recently tried the System 3 clear coat and it introduced me to a whole new world of epoxy problems.  I've been build my own rods since the 80s and have about 10 years into low volume plug building so I'm not a stranger to working with epoxies. I measure with syringes and mix well.  I used the System 3 for sealing the plugs as well, it soaks into the wood real well and hardens up like a rock, seems much harder than E-tex.  As a top coat its another ball game, after my first batch disaster I needed 3 coats just to make sure there were no dry spots, it seemed like the epoxy did not want to to adhere to a painted surface at all and had zero self leveling properties. Basement temp was about 60 so I think that was a big part of the problem. Second attempt worked out better with a light bulb under the spinner for a warmer environment, still didn't have complete coverage on first coat, second coat still uneven but complete coverage.  All the lures are fishable but not something I would show off.  Next try I will use lower watt light bulb and let the second coat sit for about 15 minutes before applying to lure to hopefully not move around so much and give me a smoother top coat.  Good Luck

Thanks for your input, I think steel pulse has found a very good systematic way that works for him, now just for us to find out what works for us.

What color paints from createx?  Some need to be broken down or else...:banghd:

I think everyone else covered the basics.  Are you letting the paint cure or just dry.  I let my paint cure for 5 days.  

3 hours ago, norcalkat said:

What color paints from createx?  Some need to be broken down or else...:banghd:

I think everyone else covered the basics.  Are you letting the paint cure or just dry.  I let my paint cure for 5 days.  

5 months, Plain white and plain red.

6 hours ago, norcalkat said:

Are you handling the plug without gloves? Oil off your hands can do this as well.  

No plug is not handled at all.

Another issue with any epoxy is the proper mixing. In addition to a long a mix as you feel safe with, transferring the mix to another container and remix has saved may a mix for me in the past.

As the epoxy is mixed in the original container, there is always some that does not mix thoroughly, the second container and remix helps insure a consistent coating.

My 2 cents worth....  I have been using Systems Three Clear Coat for at least 15 years... probably a lot more.  I think it is an excellent product for both sealing & finish coats.  Thorough mixing & proper temperatures are the key to good end results.  I make SURE all components are at least 70 degrees before starting & that temp is maintained throughout the process.   If I am going to apply a finish coat to 6 - 7 medium sized plugs I will mix 30 ML of product in a plastic mixing cup with ML, FL  ounces, CC & TBS indicated on the cup.   I pour in 10 ML of hardener & then 20 ML of epoxy.  I mix very thoroughly (6 - 7 minutes) very slowly with a Popsicle stick & prefer to apply it with a 1/2"  mylar bristle brush.  Depending on what kind of paint I am using one coat of epoxy is usually adequate.  Rustoleum & Krylon give me the least amount of problems although some metallics will leave bare spots requiring a second coat a day or 2 later.   I hope this helps.... if you have more questions please ask.... Mike.