AudAtkins

And then what?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fell in love with the chef at my restaurant, after a couple of years stars aligned and we started dating for the past 2 years. I was nervous about losing fishing time and what not, but she wanted to learn. Now she out fishes me with her ODM rod/bag, demands to sleep in the car at Montauk, collects plugs, is more competitive than ever, b*tches at me for choosing bad spots/tides and were best fishing partners. On occasion she has asked me whats the point of this all besides catching fish? Why is it so competitive? "So you catch your 50 and then what?" She is just so pumped just to catch and produce, as we all are. She keeps on asking "Whats your end game?" It is a great question and its different for everyone I'm just interested to hear some responses. 

Edited by AudAtkins

Who needs a reason when your completely alone at two am with just your thoughts, the ocean and the possibility of a good fish. It isn't about an end goal, it's about the experience itself.

1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

Who needs a reason when your completely alone at two am with just your thoughts, the ocean and the possibility of a good fish. It isn't about an end goal, it's about the experience itself.

amen. Literally peace. Its an alignment. Got skunked, saw a shooting star, isn't all about fishing. 

7 mins ago, AudAtkins said:

amen. Literally peace. Its an alignment. Got skunked, saw a shooting star, isn't all about fishing. 

There's no substitute in life for time spent on the water.

20200605_010330.jpg.a4293eaea6ca3606839fd744ea675dba.jpg

Since I sit in front of a computer all day, it's as much about just getting out as it is about catching.  Maybe more actually...  I am not one of those who gets pissed if he does not catch.  I just take it all in.  The smell, the beauty of the ocean or the bay, sunsets and sunrises, the rolling waves, the passing boats...

Except when boats get too close or those damn Jet Skiers run right past my line!  If that was YOU YESTERDAY....  Well, never mind...

It's all awesome to me.  I fish the same spots mostly due to convenience and by doing so I see the same people year after year, so that's nice too.  You are a luck man to have someone to fish with.  I fish alone, the wife is not interested...  But, alone time is nice too...

I played chess. I met this girl who became an engineer in our early 20’s she tracked me down when I was around 26 by getting my mom’s phone number and calling her to get my phone number.  I met her at Norte Dame where she was a graduate student, I was laying steel in Chicago on the CTA bridges.  I spent the night, and in the morning we played chess and she beat me, but in a way where she was letting me win, and I caught it and asked her where she learned the game. She admitted she took lessons from her friends father who was a grandmaster. I can tolerate being beaten by a superior player, I can’t tolerate someone letting me win. I get it, it was for the greater good of love, but keep it real, play your best and win, I wouldn’t give any quarter to my own children.

Your lady is competitive, good, she likes to fish, even better, you hunted her down, you got want you want better still. Finish the job and get married. Maybe she’s got something to prove to you, maybe she goes home researches fishing so she can be close to you.  You got one chance to get it right the first time, and if you don’t it will cost you 1/2 your stuff, since she is competitive probably 3/4. Don’t screw it up.

It evolves.

While the possibility of catching a fish never completely falls off the list, most anglers change their goals over time.

I know that I went through all of the phases, wanting to catch a lot of fish, big fish, chased line class records, chased tournament checks.  You achieve those goals, and new ones arise.  Teaching other people who are getting into the sport.  Spending time with people you care about.  Getting involved with the management process, so the next generation enjoys what you did.  

Especially on the ocean, there is always something new to learn.  A few years ago, I started getting into wreck fishing, something that I ignored for decades.  While it's not as exciting as bass, makos or tuna, it requires anchoring and other skills that you don't need to toss bucktails or drag lures at 8 knots.  And it's something that you can do with friends during a long stretch of season, it puts meat in the freezer, etc.

I think the point is that there really is no endgame.  You can take the sport as far as you want to, learning new things as long as you're able to stand, or you can soak clams in the sunlight and enjoy that, if that's all that you want to do.  Sometimes I'll just run a few dozen miles offshore and pull a few lures without any real goal in mind; just want to get out alone in a beautiful place to clear my head.  If a mahi or tuna wants to commit suicide on that sort of day, it's that much better, but not particularly necessary.

To enjoy time on the water, see and experience things that most people have no clue about, catch fish and learn.  What else is there.  There is something magical about being around the ocean at night or anytime, most people never experience this and it is their loss.

The end game is the constant challenge.  No one catches what they want where and when they want every time.

I like the educated guess work which fishing demands.  I like trying to get that large one fooled in a school of suicide dinks.

I like it when i learn a little even when i cannot get a touch.

I like fooling a big girl and quietly unhooking the fish at the waters edge and watching her swim away without anyone but me and the fish knowing what I accomplished

I like finding a spot and figuring it out.  

Edited by Captain Ahab

End game? Well, peace of mind because sometimes the “voices”are right. In all seriousness, fishing for me is a time to disconnect and reset back to when we did not have electronic leashes. It’s a great feeling to walk away from the digital world we now live in, turn off the phone and focus on one thing.

If it’s just the competition then your done.

For me it’s not about catching a fish. It’s my meditation. It me being able to appreciate how fortunate I’m am.

Some of us are lucky and some with little luck. Do what matters for you and only you. This lady friend likes to fish probably for non fishing reason and you got her hooked for now. What is your end game?

Hint::laugh:She wants to take this relationship further saying you need to marry her. 

Edited by Bluefishmaster
keyboard issue