Mojua

What do you write in your fishing log / journal?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A few years ago I started keeping a fishing journal. I’d always kept rough notes and taken pics, but it started as “notes” on my iPhone. Progressed into an actual journal, and now I just take shorthand notes in a tide log. The moon phase, date, and tides are already there, so I just write what time I start and stop fishing, what I caught, and when, and what I caught it/them on. What other details do you include??? It’s obviously subjective, but I’m curious about the details you guys put in your logs...

Edited by Mojua

i would write only weather,place,time.fishing technick as refrence.you can not use that for timing next year,it will not work,the time could be shifted up to 4 weeks.

Posted (edited)

I know so many people who don't write anything and then year after year they guess and question whats going on or where the fish are. I started with a notebook now I do google docs.

Date

Place, Tide

Weather (moon if significant)

Water temperature 

Who you fished with

What you threw, caught on

Bait activity or people catching 

Random note (what you had for lunch)

Time flies, keep track of wind, moon, SST and its incredibly useful, instead of all my friends that are like "uhh I remember catching so well here around that time last year or something"

Its a little more work, but as is everything else. It takes time, but its a reference and patterns will arise, just makes you a better/conscious angler and documents memories. 

Edited by AudAtkins

I have kept a Log of every trip that I have made since August 1964.   I can tell you almost exactly how many Bass, Blues and Weakfish that I have caught.  I say almost because there are times when you lose count.  At the end of each Season I do a Recap of the years Successes and More Important Failures.  My Diary Notes include 1. The Number of the Session for the year  2. An * which designates that a fish was caught. Tide, Current, Moon, Time Began/Ended.  Details of events, eg I dropped two fish on a Mag Darter, Frank had three on SP Minnow Bone Color etc,  Any other Plugs that were used during the session. I also include other info via a Short Story.  I can look back 45 years and tell you a story about a friend who did something funny etc.  However, I feel that the Most Important Item you should include in Your Diary (Journal) Whatever, Are the Details Of when You took it on the chin, Got Skunked.  good Luck, and Please Everyone Stay Safe.

sb

1 hour ago, Mojua said:

That’s amazing!!! Very cool. Oh, and you started fish journaling 13 years before I was born...

Are You Calling Me An Old Man? lol Stay Safe Sir.

sb

I also make it more of a diary. First sentence or two are the conditions. The rest are memories; watching the full moon rise off the horizon to sit perfectly on top of the lighthouse tower; the little kid trailing you at every step asking questions; how a fish fought and what caught. 

Makes for great reading later, besides just stats....except for all the times the story simply says "not a nibble".