Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rloop19

What kayak to buy

5 posts in this topic

In the market for a used pedal yak. Ill be primarily fishing the ocean and bays. Was wondering how brands other than Hobie are in the surf? Also whats the deal with the leaky hobies? If I got a used one would a crack near the mirage drive be something to worry about?

21 hours ago, Rloop19 said:

In the market for a used pedal yak. Ill be primarily fishing the ocean and bays. Was wondering how brands other than Hobie are in the surf? Also whats the deal with the leaky hobies? If I got a used one would a crack near the mirage drive be something to worry about?

I wouldn’t buy a kayak with a crack in it. Especially a Hobie. Even used hobies are expensive. And you won’t get any warranty help from them on a used boat. However, I’ll advocate for Hobie a bit. I’ve had my outback for four years now and no problems with it yet. On the contrary, Old Town has gotten a lot of traction over the past couple of years with their pedal boats. Also the new Vibe Shearwater is pretty nice. My buddy just got one and he loves it. If you go Hobie, honestly, I might recommend coughing up the extra cash for a new one. The used Hobies generally hold their value pretty well, and for another $500 or so, it would be worth it so you can at least get the warranty (for what it’s worth) and have comfort in having a brand new boat. 

The best you can do is do a google search on cracks for Hobies. Don't shy away from new either.  I got a band new left over ugly sea foam green Revo 16 for under 2 Grand and I get the warranty. It's kinda of important because Hobies can crack. 

I don't know what model for you to buy because  I don't know your weight. But if you are under 280lbs I would look at the Revo 13 or 16. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Brand is all about preference but I preferred and trust hobie in particular I really like the outback hobie. It’s stable, tracks well, and with the upgraded rudder kit and pedal drive is pretty fast on the water. For me weight is a huge factor since I have a roof rack. The kayak has to be light enough for me to load and unload by myself. This is where the outback shines. I really did like the Pro Angler kayak but it’s way to heavy to get around especially loading on the roof of a SUV by yourself. Lastly, buying a used kayak can often times be the way to go but you definitely don’t want cracks in the hull. There are many reasonably priced well cared for pre owned kayaks for sale online and through your local retailers.

Edited by Striper Samurai

I was able to find a dealer demo Compass at a good discount vs new.  Of course it was used as a demo so it has quite a few scuffs, however demo models have a full hull warranty, which I confirmed the with Hobie in writing before I purchased it.  Personally I'd be afraid of cracked but that's me.  

A guy we fish with has an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 which is a paddle boat and pretty impressive.....moves like a rocket ship.