SnoozeFishing

IBSP High Tide Line...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So yesterday evening I took a walk down ibsp, got on a decent bite and lost track of time. Around 745pm the ranger approached me asked me what car I had parked  and let me know it was getting close to 8pm and I should pack it in as the park was closing, okay no problem and made my way out mad, of course, as I was on a decent bite. In my mind I'm thinking the park is closed for people to park as from what I've been told the high tide line is public property. So tonight I went back down and parked outside of IBSP and walked down the high tide line, couple hours later im approached by two officers, kinda knew this was coming... in a pretty rude tone asked why I was still in the park? I walked closer to the officers to chat and asked in a friendly tone "I was under the impression that the high tide is public property. Is that the case here?" Immediately the second officer who now walked closer started saying with an attitude I was the person he talked to last night and he told me the park closed at 8pm. I stated that yes but I parked down the street and asked again is the high tide public property? His response was well you're not standing on the high tide line now (I walked closer to talk) and asked if I really wanted to go down this road. I responded with a nope and started walking back. In my head if I wasn't going to win this fight as I'm guessing the 8pm statewide curfew is still in effect. 

Rant time... Up until recent years I've really tried to be on LE's side but that has changed for me. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't have a dialogue or conversation without their ego getting hurt. There's no way they can know every single law, the same way I can't and we should be able to discuss that without the need for an attitude. Anyway does the high tide apply to a place like IBSP? It would be weird if it was a law everywhere else but the state who's law it is park. Thanks. 

It's called the New Jersey Public Trust Doctrine.  You need to read it. It doesn't actually give you unlimited access to go anywhere you want to go...closed parks or restricted access where there might be concerns for safety.  :read:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I definitely see your point about their ego. But I'm sure they deal with their fair share of crap from people. I don't know for sure but my guess is you were in the right. Even then it takes a huge pair to battle it out with those guys. They can jam you up real good.  What's really sad is you could be looting a city somewhere and not even get approached...maybe even praised. But alone on a beach fishing and gtfo. Bad times .

Edited by adams54

Walk on around 9 but don’t park in the spots we all park, they have eyes as you approach in the car.

you obviously up for a walk it just needs to be a more discreet walk

Had you arrived by boat, and stayed in the water below the HTL, they could not f**k with you.

1 hour ago, wasy said:

Walk on around 9 but don’t park in the spots we all park, they have eyes as you approach in the car.

you obviously up for a walk it just needs to be a more discreet walk

I did walk, down the high tide line from a different town, my car was no where near the park. I was the only one there in the darkness lol they still found me. 

10 hours ago, SIC34 said:

It's called the New Jersey Public Trust Doctrine.  You need to read it. It doesn't actually give you unlimited access to go anywhere you want to go...closed parks or restricted access where there might be concerns for safety.  :read:

I gave it a read last night before I went and didn't see any clause in there restricting access to parks high tide line, I might've missed it.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Had you arrived by boat, and stayed in the water below the HTL, they could not f**k with you.

That's the thing thats confusing I parked in a different town and followed the high tide line there, I didn't access the beach from the park itself. 

Edited by SnoozeFishing

23 mins ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I gave it a read last night before I went and didn't see any clause in there restricting access to parks high tide line, I might've missed it.  

I used to carry a copy of it with me when I went out. A lot of towns had officers that came on as summer help and had no clue about it. Their response was beach closes at 9...town order. I provided it, left the beach and went out the next night and nobody bothered me again. Another time I was on a jetty and they cited safety concerns. I guess you need to pick your battles with the state parks and town beaches.  I'm not sure it is even applicable for national parks in NJ. Good luck.

6 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I've walked on there at night without issue many times; I was under the impression it was allowed.  :shrug:

It was allowed up till corona closure, was 24/7 fishing

31 mins ago, Bristol Lou said:

It was allowed up till corona closure, was 24/7 fishing

Ahhhh okay that makes more sense, thanks for clearing up.

Play nice.  They already recognized you from the night before.  Even if they are wrong they can make your outing a pain in a$$. There are plenty of other places in the area to fish.

1 min ago, Mono said:

Play nice.  They already recognized you from the night before.  Even if they are wrong they can make your outing a pain in a$$. There are plenty of other places in the area to fish.

I didn't do anything wrong the night before and left before the park closed, it's a shame we have to walk on egg shells to enjoy our natural resources. Doesn't sit right with me.