Lokfixxxer

How do I located grass beds? Speckled trout advice.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm going to be targeting speckled trout this week. My plan is to bottom fish some bait lines (bloodworms and peeler crab) and work some lures. I was told to fish shallow water (4-10ft.) and fish through the grass beds. How can you located the grass beds if you can't see them?

Also, is it better to anchor or drift with the current?

I usually fish in the area near Deal Island to the mouths of the Nanticoke and Wicomico rivers. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Feel free to post or direct message me some hot spots in that area. Thank you for your help!!!

Get a fish finder and understand bottom structure return signals.

A primitive way is to throw a pyramid sinker, a castmaster or diamond jig on a dark area preferably with heavy braided line and drag it along the suspected area and feel the line resistance. Practice on a known grassy area and remember how it feels. Hope it helps & be safe!

On 6/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, surffish said:

A primitive way is to throw a pyramid sinker, a castmaster or diamond jig on a dark area preferably with heavy braided line and drag it along the suspected area and feel the line resistance. Practice on a known grassy area and remember how it feels. Hope it helps & be safe!

This always works!

On 6/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, surffish said:

This always works!

Anytime i am looking for certain structure i use a sinker 1st.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, Lokfixxxer said:

I'm going to be targeting speckled trout this week. My plan is to bottom fish some bait lines (bloodworms and peeler crab) and work some lures. I was told to fish shallow water (4-10ft.) and fish through the grass beds. How can you located the grass beds if you can't see them?

Also, is it better to anchor or drift with the current?

I usually fish in the area near Deal Island to the mouths of the Nanticoke and Wicomico rivers. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Feel free to post or direct message me some hot spots in that area. Thank you for your help!!!

Forget the peelers.  Soft crab, soft crab, soft crab! If you can catch spot on the bloodworms, hook them through the back & liveline them for a bigger class speck. 

3 hours ago, AI GUY said:

Forget the peelers.  Soft crab, soft crab, soft crab! If you can catch spot on the bloodworms, hook them through the back & liveline them for a bigger class speck. 

Soft crabs go in the skillet...not on the hook!!!!  :beatin:

3 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Soft crabs go in the skillet...not on the hook!!!!  :beatin:

Both!!! I love them fried. They can also be used to catch speckled trout & keeper rockfish in the tributaries of the bay.

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, AI GUY said:

Although I was surprised by a nice one on a Jumpin Minnow today, ended hooking myself pretty darn good -

last tetanus was????

E9641F8A-5057-4666-AFDA-2DEC9F9797A1.jpeg

Edited by Jason B