Matt7082

Tube and Worm Help

49 posts in this topic

I Just started saltwater fishing for striper last week trolling a tube with worm and I try to keep it below 2mph. However, sometimes I find myself going over 2.5mph and I stil managed to catch a few

This thread is great. I just got a pedal kayak, and have only taken it out once to see how it handled and how my homemade mounts and rod holders would perform. Last night I was considering starting a thread to ask about tube and worm, this thread answered/addressed every question I was going to ask.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, jlapenta said:

I also grabbed a package of gulp sandworms and one of bloodworms today, lol..   Will try them side by side with the real thing. 

Please report back on this I would love to hear what you find. 

I don't know if anybody else has done this. I had a dozen sandworms leftover after my last flounder session and I ended up salting them. They're quite tough now. I'll have to see how the salted worms perform compared to gulp/live worms on a tube. 

Edited by kayaknshore

7 hours ago, kayaknshore said:

Please report back on this I would love to hear what you find. 

I don't know if anybody else has done this. I had a dozen sandworms leftover after my last flounder session and I ended up salting them. They're quite tough now. I'll have to see how the salted worms perform compared to gulp/live worms on a tube. 

Interesting idea.  

1-2 kts depends on wind and current. I only use red trolling from hogy and it has been working very well. I have not use any teaser at the end but i put a few squeeze of procure inside the tube for the scent.

1-2 kts depends on wind and current. I only use red trolling from hogy and it has been working very well. I have not use any teaser at the end but i put a few squeeze of procure inside the tube for the scent.

10 hours ago, mazisama said:

I'm going to test using the procure scent instead of a worm.  Going to Cape Cod next week, which should be a good place to experiment.  Which scent do you use?

menhaden. i think what fresh worms or glup do are giving off the scent. The tube itself is giving all the motions to trigger the bite and the scent from procure is the cherry on top and more convenient imho.

2 mins ago, mazisama said:

menhaden. i think what fresh worms or glup do are giving off the scent. The tube itself is giving all the motions to trigger the bite and the scent from procure is the cherry on top and more convenient imho.

That's a really good idea. Then theres no way for them to steal the worm off the hook too. I have some pro cure from last year, maybe need a fresh bottle.

10 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

That's a really good idea. Then theres no way for them to steal the worm off the hook too. I have some pro cure from last year, maybe need a fresh bottle.

Yeah, it says it lasts for an hour of trolling before you need to re-apply. If an 8oz bottle is around $20 and it gets me through a good chunk of the season, sign me up!

Does tolling the TnW work all summer, or is it primarily a spring bite? I just got my assortment from T-Man, I'm going to try trolling them for hybrids too just to see; I hear that hybrids LOVE sandworms...

6 hours ago, hybrid hunter said:

Does tolling the TnW work all summer, or is it primarily a spring bite? I just got my assortment from T-Man, I'm going to try trolling them for hybrids too just to see; I hear that hybrids LOVE sandworms...

Summer is actually the best time for T&W where I am - late summer the stripers can get harder to locate with other means.