Matt7082

Tube and Worm Help

49 posts in this topic

It’s been quite a few years since I’ve trolled a tube from my kayak. I am limited to using on artificials. I’m curious what color artificial pork rind curly tails you use. Also, utilizing the speed reading on my GPS, what is a good starting point for speed? I know I should let the fish tel me what speed is good, but where should I start?

9 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

It’s been quite a few years since I’ve trolled a tube from my kayak. I am limited to using on artificials. I’m curious what color artificial pork rind curly tails you use. Also, utilizing the speed reading on my GPS, what is a good starting point for speed? I know I should let the fish tel me what speed is good, but where should I start?

1.5-2.0 knots no rule thats just what I like.  No rule. Experiment and see what works for you. 

14 mins ago, Crackers said:

I like the gulp sandworm for an artificial.

Same, works pretty well. The ones in the pint container works better than the bag. Not cheap but Dick’s had them on sale recently with a $10 rebate so it brought them from $20 down to $5. I think the rebate still applies, not sure about the sale. 

All good suggestions. I'd say depth is just as important as speed. If you're not getting occasional snags, you're not deep enough. Watch the angle of the line as the lure sinks - sometimes it goes right down, sometimes it flares out and you have to let out a crap load of line. Easier to achieve in shallow water (<15'). Stay shallow, hug the rocks, and hold on :)

Agreed with staying shallow. For less than say 12' I really like the T-Man 15" tube, weightless. I use a ball bearing swivel/snap tied to my main line, clip on an 18" steel leader, then another BB swivel/snap that connects directly to the tube. You can add a weight to get a little deeper but I generally just stay fairly shallow. T-Man makes a weighted keel but I find it catches a lot of weeds - probably better to just put weight in-line on your main line. If there are fish around you will catch them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My (limited) experience this season with them has been very positive. Things I've learned;

Red, scarlet, red and red. Works every time. (Although I did pick up an orange hogy tube today)

T-man keel is a godsend, as are ball bearing swivels. Worth every penny.

I trolled from 6 feet to 30 feet, caught plenty.

I feel like the speed on my FF is incorrectly logging, but I keep it around 2.5-3mph depending on weightless or up to 3/4 oz

Gulp sandworm outperformed real ones every time. Little to no cleanup. No notes and they dont die or fall apart. 

If you think you're fouled/weeded up, you are.

Losing a 30lb fish while using tube and worm is a heartbreaker lol

I prefer a med-heavy to heavy power, mod-fast action rod at 7 feet. Let's you play the fish better, and less missed hook ups.

Hope this helps

20200530_202554.jpg

20200606_085805.jpg

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

I've had good luck with TnW this spring during the day.   Nighttime I have not caught with TnW, but have done very with big swimmers.   Anyone fish TnW differently at night ?

29 mins ago, jlapenta said:

I've had good luck with TnW this spring during the day.   Nighttime I have not caught with TnW, but have done very with big swimmers.   Anyone fish TnW differently at night ?

It’s more of a daytime tactic for me. Like middle of the day, when I’m not marking or finding fish on the surface, it’s a great locator. It can work at night, especially near bridge and street lights, but there are places I could fish during the day and catch 15 fish and maybe catch one at night on T&W. It’s odd because eels are such a good night time bait, you’d think they’d imitate them and work even better than during the day. 

19 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

My (limited) experience this season with them has been very positive. Things I've learned;

Red, scarlet, red and red. Works every time. (Although I did pick up an orange hogy tube today)

T-man keel is a godsend, as are ball bearing swivels. Worth every penny.

I trolled from 6 feet to 30 feet, caught plenty.

I feel like the speed on my FF is incorrectly logging, but I keep it around 2.5-3mph depending on weightless or up to 3/4 oz

Gulp sandworm outperformed real ones every time. Little to no cleanup. No notes and they dont die or fall apart. 

If you think you're fouled/weeded up, you are.

Losing a 30lb fish while using tube and worm is a heartbreaker lol

I prefer a med-heavy to heavy power, mod-fast action rod at 7 feet. Let's you play the fish better, and less missed hook ups.

Hope this helps

20200530_202554.jpg

20200606_085805.jpg

Noted! Thanks for the info. I’ve never tried the gulp sand worms, but I just bought bag of them. Frankly I never even thought to try them. 

7 hours ago, jlapenta said:

When I first started kayak fishing in 2015, I trolled the tube a few times at night. Never had much luck. I did well trolling rigged eels. Only problem is they seem to grab every piece of weed in the water and they hang bottoms easily in shallow or slow water. This year for night time fishing I am trying scrounger jigs with 9” sluggos and the Hogy Slappy Eels. 

The trouble for me this year is that I am stuck living at work for two weeks at a time. But I work on the naval station in Newport, so that’s when/where I’m fishing.  I don’t think most people will he too happy if I keep eels and sand worms in the breakroom fridge. 100% artificial for me this year. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I also grabbed a package of gulp sandworms and one of bloodworms today, lol..   Will try them side by side with the real thing. 

Edited by jlapenta

34 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I picked up some curly Otter Tails to tip T&Ws, I guess I'll see if the convenience is also blessed with performance.

I’ve done great with them years ago. But I can’t get a sniff with them this year, which is why I started this thread. 

9 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

I’ve done great with them years ago. But I can’t get a sniff with them this year, which is why I started this thread. 

Matt, do you troll with the scrounger jigs rigged with sluggos.  Never used a scrounger jig, but sounds interesting. 

52 mins ago, jlapenta said:

Matt, do you troll with the scrounger jigs rigged with sluggos.  Never used a scrounger jig, but sounds interesting. 

I have used them for LMB for casting swimbaits, which is what they are designed for. I haven’t tried them in the salt yet. I just ordered some larger ones to try.