ermghoti

"Bluefish!? Ugh. I Can't Imagine how Anyone Eats Them."

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Nah...  Kinda whipped it up years ago for a sun burnt drunken dinner after a day of surf drinking.  Became a traditional spring gathering dinner.  I don't know amounts.  Never measured it.    65% Slap ya mamma.  20% sugar in the raw packets stolen from the Bob Evans. 15 % roasted white corn meal.  Soak properly prepared fillets in whole milk for a few beers.  Dredge in mix and lay on a cold rack for 2 beers.  Kick the neighbors cat off the cleaning table.  Grease up a cast iron and heat her up good on the grill.   Shoot the damn cat. Chuck some lard or whatever in.  Gotta be hot.  Chuck em in till they crust up. Flip. Crust. Pull.  They cook quick.    So basically blackened. But with roasted corn meal. Not quite fried not quite blackened.  Kinda in-between. And sweet.

Sounds good. 

I had jerky on my mind. 

7 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Compared to False Abacore Bluefish tastes like salmon.....

Never tried one.  Usually when they come in I'm squirrel hunting.  I don't fish much in the fall. 

One of those things I keep saying I'm going to do but never get around to it.   Maybe this year!

10 hours ago, sillverchevy said:

I like them fresh...fileted and soaked in milk overnight...breaded and fried on a potato roll with a pickle and tartar sauce. Nice

I must agree there isn't a fish I haven't liked...

Have you tried sand shark?

That's why I hate to buy fish fillets. You never know what you are buying. I see too many people pay for old smelly fish. I only buy fish with a head or catch my own fish. I love bluefish!

11 hours ago, sillverchevy said:

I like them fresh...fileted and soaked in milk overnight...breaded and fried on a potato roll with a pickle and tartar sauce. Nice

I must agree there isn't a fish I haven't liked...

My buddy says the same thing. Soaked in milk overnight. Does that do anything to the ish?

56 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Sounds good. 

I had jerky on my mind. 

Never tried one.  Usually when they come in I'm squirrel hunting.  I don't fish much in the fall. 

One of those things I keep saying I'm going to do but never get around to it.   Maybe this year!

Missing out in the fall. Lot of big fish to be had. I hunt during the day and fish at night. Kill em

I like Blues released with a little tail slap and a splash and they’re off to terrorize a school of Bunker again, and I’m grilling up a NY strip on the Weber. I’m just not a fan of Blues as table fare and the “work” required to make them edible. So many better options. 

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

I like Blues released with a little tail slap and a splash and they’re off to terrorize a school of Bunker again, and I’m grilling up a NY strip on the Weber. I’m just not a fan of Blues as table fare and the “work” required to make them edible. So many better options. 

Thats the thing with food. We all like different things.  

I'm not really a steak or roast person.  I'll take a burger thou!  Not sayin I hate it, just not my 1st pick most times. 

As far as work. I rarely filet.   Either I cook it whole or cut it into steaks.  Just love bone in stuff. 

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

Missing out in the fall. Lot of big fish to be had. I hunt during the day and fish at night. Kill em

Yeah.  Think this year I'll focus more on fishing.    Of course I say that now.  Once the hickory nuts start popping I'll be itchin for some squirrel. 

Blue fish are delicious. Bleed, ice, fillet, cut out the blood line.

Try them layered between two layers of sliced onions, butter and Old Bay. Cover with foil 400F for 20 minutes. 

10 hours ago, gellfex said:

If it's not too big, super fresh, and well treated it doesn't need any fancy stuff. When I get a cocktail size as bycatch porgying or fluking I fillet it when I get home and broil it with butter salt and pepper. Nothing better!  People also say you can't freeze them, I say nonsense. Last month we pulled some vac packed fillet from last year out of the deep freeze and made tacos, they were delicious.

Amen to that. I vacuseal most of my wild game and fish and I've never had any bad experiences. I do sometimes dry off the fillets with a paper towel before I seal them, as I've heard the drier fillets just freeze better and last longer, but I really can't confirm any solid results. I've also made bluefish poke using korean gojujang (spelling?) sauce, it's a hot bean paste, and I've made spicy mayo bluefish poke as well. It's delicious but you gotta eat it within a few hours, and keep it refrigerated in the meantime. It doesn't look as appetizing as tuna poke but it's actually very tasty, and cutting the blues into bigger chunks before making it def helps.

10 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Compared to False Abacore Bluefish tastes like salmon.....

Always thought that false albacore was foul.  But a couple of years ago, a friend gave me some that was just hours ougt of the water, was thoroughly bled and immediately iced, then sliced into thin sashimi and served with soy and a little ginger.  It was very good.  But he told me that if he had kept the fish overnight, it would have oxidized and been inedible.  Freshness was the key.

Whether I want to eat bluefish depends a lot on what the bluefish was eating.

Small bluefish caught in the bay early in the season, that has been feeding on small bait, I enjoy.,

Larger "racer" bluefish that are all head and no body, that come into my chum slick when I'm shark fishing 25 or 40 miles offshore can be very good.

Big bluefish that I catch on offshore wrecks, or that attack the lures or baits that I'm trolling for tuna, and are feeding on sand eels, squid and similar forage end up in the fish box.

Big bluefish that I catch in Long Island Sound that are as fat as slaughterhouse hogs from feeding all summer on bunker, that leave a little oiul slick on the surface if you're foolish enough to stick one with a gaff, I don't gaff at all because their meat tastes too much like cotton dipped in rancid cod liver oil.

If the fish eat good-tasting bait, they'll taste good.  If they eat bunker and such, they won't.

Like others have said, thourogh bleeding and icing is needed.  I also find that cooking them with ginger, mustard or tomato sauce to help cut through the oil is helpful.  I make a bluefish marinara sajuce that is very good over pasta, and a teriyaki-glazed broiled bluefish fillet that I look forward to each year.

As far as freezing goes, it's much better not to do it, but frozen can be OK for a while if the fillets are vacuum-packed.

Try cooking the cheeks of bluefish . They are awesome little medalions . I concur with using either milk or mayo over night . They must be bled and iced right away for them even to be edible . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I caught my first bluefish of the season last Sunday.

Here are my filets.

20200531_200031.jpg.3fa0cd0a06311dc14bb2cc5ec7f72bf7.jpg

I bleed them out as soon as I catch them. When I'm targeting them I have a cooler with ice in the trunk of my car so I can ice them immediately.

They taste so good when you do this that I can eat them baked with just salt and pepper. 

I rarely buy blue fish from the supermarket unless I know they came in that day. Most of the store filets look nasty.

Edited by zak-striper

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Thats the thing with food. We all like different things.  

I'm not really a steak or roast person.  I'll take a burger thou!  Not sayin I hate it, just not my 1st pick most times. 

As far as work. I rarely filet.   Either I cook it whole or cut it into steaks.  Just love bone in stuff. 

Yeah.  Think this year I'll focus more on fishing.    Of course I say that now.  Once the hickory nuts start popping I'll be itchin for some squirrel. 

I don’t really hunt squirrels anymore so if you ever wanna know my honey hole squirrel spot I can show it to you. I hit it up every other year to keep it fresh. Limit every trip lol