Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby

Montauk ,following limits?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I was on a boat this weekend(party)and I was talking to the mate who periodically works out at Montauk. He says he goes fishing on party boats out there and catches 100 Fluke! Keeps 25 and gives the rest away. I asked him what about the limitation rule. He said that they don't follow the state rule out there! If so this is a sad situation. Can anyone verify this?

Montauk? No Good for Fluke? Are you kidding? I fish the rips about 3 miles off the point and max out nearly every time. 3 fish per angler is tough to comply with so once we get the limit we trade out larger fish for min 17"-ers, but never more than the regs (regardless of how ridiculous) will allow.

Admittedly, Montauk holds more shorts than legal fish, but we catch all tide long just drifting over the rips.

We haven't gone out there much because there have been abundant (large) fish inshore this year (further negating the need for NY messed up regs).

We usually go out to Fisher's, limit out in NY and then fish back through CT to pick up a few more before motoring in.

3 fish per angler is tough to comply with so once we get the limit we trade out larger fish for min 17"-ers, but never more than the regs (regardless of how ridiculous) will allow.

You may not realize it, but this practice is illegal. It's called "high-grading".

Isn't it a possession limit? If you returned to NY waters with your CT allowed 6 fish you would be out of compliance if checked, right?

In CT, we can go to NY pick up 3 big ones (we hope long way to M) and then stop off for 3 more once we are back in CT.

The possession limits of the state where the fish are brought to land control, not those of the state where they caught. You can't bring 6 fluke back to NY even if you caught them in CT.

But if you get boarded in NY waters, you'd better not have more than NY's limit aboard wink.gif

But if you get boarded in NY waters, you'd better not have more than NY's limit aboard wink.gif

That should make for some interesting confrontations in raritan bay later on this summer if it has not already!

Guys,

The rules are pretty simple, you have to be legal in the state you are in. If you're in NY you can't have more than three fish per person, if you're in CT or NJ you can have whatever those state's limits are, but you can't take more than three into NY.

You may not realize it, but this practice is illegal. It's called "high-grading".

Is that implicitly illegal for fluke? Because in most states, there's nothing illegal about high-grading. Mass has a specific law about not high grading striped bass - but I'm unaware of any similar laws that cover fluke. Is high-grading fluke illegal? If so, anyone have the actual wording of the law?

If a boat leaves a CT port, motors to Fisher's Is, NY and catches a NY limit of 3 fluke - then motors back into CT waters on it's way home - they can without question then add to their catch until they reach the CT possession limit. They are only risking a citation if they go back into NY waters while in possession of more than the NY limit. Nowhere was H'Ilandaer suggesting anything illegal as far as I could tell - not with high-grading and certainly not with the second scenario. I'm unsure on the high-grading thing, but I don't think it's implicitly illegal. If the fish are dead or dying, it's irresponsible...but if they are healthy and kept in a live well, there's nothing wrong with it.

TimS

if you're in CT or NJ you can have whatever those state's limits are, but you can't take more than three into NY.

Exactly smile.gif But you can take 3 outta NY and finish up your limit in CT or NJ - so long as you don't have to go back through NY waters to dock.

TimS

Is that implicitly illegal for fluke? Because in most states, there's nothing illegal about high-grading.

TimS

Tim">

I know for a fact that highgrading of striped bass is illegal in NY & I have an email from the NYSDEC to prove it. I'm not 100% positive regarding fluke, but my gut tells me it's the same thing. I sent an email to the NYSDEC requesting verification. Stay tuned......

I am not certain that you are correct stating that high-grading is illegal regarding CT/NY fluke - in fact I know one retired CO who does it, and this dude is by the letter. As far as High grading bass goes, I wouldn't know because I don't keep the bigguns. I keep 1 or 2 28-30 inch fish if I want striper for dinner. I'm sure the issue with bass is keeping them healthy (not just alive) in a live-well - And yes, all of the fluke I catch are kept in a contunally circulating live well.

I recommend not immediately assuming people are a**holes and not trying to be some sort of a cop -Start with giving the benefit of the doubt. Making assumptions is a bad habit and it'll only cost you friends, not make them.

And no it is not illegal to catch 3 NY fish and pick up a few more for the road in CT where I land my fish.

I suppose there are those who color outside the lines when it comes to fishing regs, but I'm not one of them, at least never intentionally, and I am typically up to speed on local regulations, limits and ordinances.

....So there biggrin.gif