gellfex

Code regarding step down from doorway to deck?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I'm trying to lay out a deck style stairway from a side door in an alleyway 3' 11" above grade. I think a 36" square landing outside the door and steps down from there sounds about right, but can there be an 8" drop from the threshold to the deck or does it need to be same grade as the inside floor?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Code says 7 3/4" max. for landings.  With a 3/8" tread/riser differential allowed for stairs, losing or gaining 1/4" is nothing. Gone in two steps. 

If yer stuck at yer frame height, maybe just add 1/4" acq lattice strips on top of your frame to get the 7 3/4" that you need. Then build yer stairs to that height.

Can of corn. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

Is that measured from the inside floor level or the threshold?

It's been a while since I took these measurements. The situation is I'm cutting a window into a backyard door as part of a kitchen and bath gut. Who knows what the actual full drop is after I demo out the tile floor of the kitchen and God knows what else is under there. As usual with the jobs too big for me to handle alone, I'm struggling to find a contractor I can have faith in.

My wife wanted our deck to be the same level as the finished floor of our house, so that's what the contractor built for us.  No visible problems so far, but when it's  a heavy ,"frog-choker" rain and the water is piling up on the deck faster than it immediately drains, I wish it was at least slightly down.

9 hours ago, gellfex said:

Is that measured from the inside floor level or the threshold?

It's been a while since I took these measurements. The situation is I'm cutting a window into a backyard door as part of a kitchen and bath gut. Who knows what the actual full drop is after I demo out the tile floor of the kitchen and God knows what else is under there. As usual with the jobs too big for me to handle alone, I'm struggling to find a contractor I can have faith in.

Threshold

45 mins ago, Cuttyhunker said:

Door has to swing away from the stairs, not over them.

In this case the door would swing in, and if I put in a storm door it would swing out over the landing. Is a storm door for a rental a smart or stupid idea? It's in a 3' wide alley so it's not like rain will be beating at the door.

Code does't want a door swinging over the stairs (Mass) I'd 86 the storm, check with the local building inspector.  There are "pocket" screens that work like an old pull down window shade only sideways.  Have one, works good.

Just now, Cuttyhunker said:

Code does't want a door swinging over the stairs (Mass) I'd 86 the storm, check with the local building inspector.  There are "pocket" screens that work like an old pull down window shade only sideways.  Have one, works good.

Hahahaha! Here the building inspectors don't need you, and expect the same. Seriously, you cannot get them on the phone, period. You'd have to go down to the office and corner them during the brief period either before or after they're out on the road. And people wonder why no one wants to pull permits!

But as I described, the storm would not swing over stairs, just the flat landing.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

It's in a 3' wide alley so it's not like rain will be beating at the door.

What state ? How about snow?

6 hours ago, SB59 said:

What state ? How about snow?

NJ. I guess if there's too much snow to open the door no one goes out in the backyard! It's a rental. But honestly, my own back door has a screen door that opens out and I've gotten it open with two feet of snow.

Edited by gellfex

Platform makes sense, the idea I think is for someone not to be stepping out unwittingly into an abyss.  I got called for it in Mass, three steps down into a garage, had to reverse the door to swing in away from the stairs.  For a rental I'd take the storm door money for a better main thermal door.

2 hours ago, Cuttyhunker said:

Platform makes sense, the idea I think is for someone not to be stepping out unwittingly into an abyss.  I got called for it in Mass, three steps down into a garage, had to reverse the door to swing in away from the stairs.  For a rental I'd take the storm door money for a better main thermal door.

I guess I'm used to a storm/screen door to the backyard being standard so you not having to deal with a full heavy door running in and out from the yard. Question: does multifamily code not require self closing doors for backyards? I have never been dinged in 23 years by the state inspectors for not having it on my own, while they are careful about enforcing it for hallway to apartment doors. 

Here's the code I sort of quoted back when you started this thread, all IRC :

Landing minimum 36" deep x width of door  (311.4.3)  

Floor or landing( at req'd exit) max 1 1/2" below threshold EXC  (311.4.3)

Landing (7 3/4" below threshold)  (8" below floor )  OK if door does not swing over landing ( screen door may swing over )  (311.4.3X)

Door may not swing over lower landing EXC  (311.4.3X)

Screen or storm door can swing over landing  (311.4.3X) 

Edited by Ben Lippen