ASrod

Striper Teasers

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What size and hook style do you guys like for teasers? I was always under the impression that 5/0 was the standard but when tying your own, what hooks do you guys use?

Hmm, I don’t tie teasers but if I were to equate them to what I’d tie a clouser or a Ray’s fly, I’d likely go with a 2/0-3/0. Mustad’s 34007BN might be a decent, cheap option. 

Yeah I have a good dozen 34007 in a few different sizes. Just curious if there’s anything else worth using.

5/0 I would consider on the Huge side for a teaser.

1/0, 2/0 is more “normal” for me. 34007 is fine just hit em with a file or stone to get them sharp. 

I decide which hook by the fly it's self.I've used # 2s all the way to 4/0.Also,the brand of hook comes into play.

I will say that mustad’s 34007dt and 34007bn are the same hook but the latter is black nickel model that’s much better quality, in my opinion. 

A Striper teaser generally is imitating a small bait fish (stering or silversides) and you want it to have action as well as looks. The larger/heavier the hook the less action and less probably of success. 1/0-2/0 O'Shaunessy Bucktail Deceiver will produce almost allways.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:39 PM, ASrod said:

What size and hook style do you guys like for teasers? I was always under the impression that 5/0 was the standard but when tying your own, what hooks do you guys use?

Here some I tied on a 2/0 and a 5/0. Il use the mustad 34700 or eagle claw the admiral 5/0 and also sometimes il use 2/0 or 3/0 with umpqua saltwater u401 

64652058-B6DB-400E-86E8-9C3FC00F096A.jpeg

3BBD863E-88C6-44DD-A837-0F26B16E79E2.jpeg