coastalfreak

Rear Drag Reels (Not Baitrunners)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So, I was in Academy the other day, and I gotta say, I really liked the Sienna rear drag model I was looking at. My question is, in a fishing environment (especially a salty one), what are the advantages of a front drag vs a rear drag? To me, it seemed the rear drag was easier to use. 

Ive also been eyeing the Sahara Rear Drag. 

I used a rear-drag spinning reel in freshwater many years ago. The one I had had a quick-change interchangeable spools. You could have a spool of 4 lb mono for trout/panfish and a spool of 10 lb mono for bass/pickerel. Swap out with a push of a button. That was probably 35 years ago, and I think braid has largely made this obsolete. It was easier to adjust while fighting a fish. Sorry, but I don’t know anything about the current models.

Most use the rear drag reels for bait fishing, almost like a bait-runner but you don't have to mess with the drag in front to loosen or tighten it for bait fishing. Also the spool doesn't pop off when you loosen it too much when you use the rear drag.

Rear drag stacks are much smaller and less resilient to frequent prolonged runs. Typically found in entry level, freshwater reels where drag is not as much a factor for controlling hard running fish nor corrosion factors. Depending on target species, I would not shy away from using one. They served me well for 20+ years of freshwater fishing for bass trout and panfish without any issues. 

5 hours ago, wrboz said:

I used a rear-drag spinning reel in freshwater many years ago. The one I had had a quick-change interchangeable spools. You could have a spool of 4 lb mono for trout/panfish and a spool of 10 lb mono for bass/pickerel. Swap out with a push of a button. That was probably 35 years ago, and I think braid has largely made this obsolete. It was easier to adjust while fighting a fish. Sorry, but I don’t know anything about the current models.

Was this a shimano quickfire with rear fighting drag?

Not a shimano. It was a fenwick, not sure of the model, but it had the trigger to open the bail. Was not an expensive reel, but held up well for many years in freshwater. I’m thinking mid-eighties vintage.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is a Zebco Cardinal I used back in the late 70’s on the Kenai river for King Salmon and Silver Salmon from shore.
Really was a pos reel but caught buocoo salmon with it !!

Swedish reel.

FF05CADF-FF81-4637-94CE-66B26A2BF598.jpeg

Edited by olvart

I am sill using this reel some 30 or so years later. Rear fighting drag with a center strike position.  I caught many big largemouth with this.

The picture is almost the exact model.

The non instant anti reverse has always been a challenge rubber worm fishing.

vintage-shimano-2500-sidestab_1_5869fa0e2e5e75cc551733190ae279ac.jpg

9 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I am sill using this reel some 30 or so years later. Rear fighting drag with a center strike position.  I caught many big largemouth with this.

The picture is almost the exact model.

The non instant anti reverse has always been a challenge rubber worm fishing.

vintage-shimano-2500-sidestab_1_5869fa0e2e5e75cc551733190ae279ac.jpg

I know right? The older cheap Shona is do that. Great reels, but they drive me NUTS! 

Edited by coastalfreak

1 min ago, coastalfreak said:

I know right? The older cheap Shona is do that. Great reels, but they drive me NUTS! 

Kicking around the idea of......retiring it

an old friend of mine had a big quantum rear drag reel,he soaked bait with it,thing was a beast in size and power.

black with some kind of drag release system on the rear I believe or a bait runner feature.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter